8

"That's today? You really wanna go?" Carrie asked Mike over the phone.

"Yeah, I mean, how bad could it be? It's just a bunch of people we went to high school with..." Mike chuckled.

"You had it pretty good in high school... Hot jock.. I, on the other hand, was a geek... Believe me, it wasn't that fun..." Carrie laughed.

"You were a hot geek that went out with a hot jock..." Mike laughed.

"See? Now you let it get to your head..." Carrie said.

"So? You coming with me or am I going alone?" Mike asked.

"Alright, fine... They said it was a family picnic so I'm bringing the kids if that's alright..." Carrie gave in.

"Of course! Yeah, I'm excited to meet them!" Mike grinned.

"Oh, um... They don't really know about, you know, you and me... Not yet at least... The divorce is still kinda new and hard for them so I wanna ease things in slowly..." Carrie said.

"I completely respect that!" Mike responded.

"Alright! Pick us up at 4?" Carrie asked.

"Yup I'll see you guys then!" Mike grinned. 

Carrie got dressed into an off shoulder summer dress and wedge sandals. She curled her hair and did her makeup and picked out her kids' clothes. 

"Guys come inside and get ready! We're gonna leave soon!" Carrie exclaimed, standing on the back porch.

The kids ran inside and got ready just in time. Mike pulled into the driveway and got out of the car. He knocked on the door, which was later opened by Carrie and the kids. Mike was standing outside with khaki pants and a light blue button down shirt. He was holding two flowers in his hand and a grin appeared on his face when he saw Carrie.

"Hey!" He said.

"Hi!" Carrie smiled.

"You look stunning!" Mike said.

"Thank you!" Carrie smiled.

"This is my mom..." Mason said, a bit irked. He quickly caught on to the flirting.

"Guys, this is Mike! He and mom have been friends for over fifteen years! Can you guys believe that? " Carrie said to her kids. "Say hi!"

"Hi, I'm Cassie! Nice to meet you!" Carrie's mini-me said.

"Nice to meet you too!" Mike grinned.

"Mason..." The boy said, shaking Mike's hand firmly.

"Nice to meet you, bud!" Mike smiled.

 "Oh, this is for you!" He said, handing Carrie the flower.

"Thank you!" Carrie smiled.

"And this one's for you!" He bent down to give the other flower to Cassie.

"Thank you!" Cassie grinned.

"We should get going..." Carrie said, walking out of the house and closing the door behind her.

"Yeah, let's go!" Mike said walking to his truck.

"Is that your truck?" Mason asked.

"Yeah, pretty neat huh?" Mike asked.

 "Yeah, my dad never really liked trucks but I always wanted him to get one!" He said.

Mike opened the door for Carrie and helped her in, then did the same with Cassie.

"Watcha got there bud?" Mike asked the boy as he saw him pick up a toy from the yard.

"My football... I figured we could play at the picnic!" He said.