Chapter 2

The morning, a few days later, was bright and shining, with the sun a blinding glow in an otherwise clear blue sky. Not a cloud peeped on the horizon, promising a crisp, cold morning.

Silverside was already organising the patrols of the day right after the morning patrol came back and reported clear, sending Rippleflame, Fogwisp and Frostclaw out hunting, while Nautilussplash and Deltastorm led another hunting party to the other side of the island, accompanied by Runepaw and Daisyheart.

A paw prodding her side woke Swanpaw from a comfortable sleep and she bared her teeth to see Emberpaw balancing on the edge of her nest, his golden eyes welcoming.

"Hello, Swanpaw," he purred, and the black feline pulled back, pressing herself against the curve of the tree trunk. "I'm organising an apprentice and mentor training session for sunhigh, as soon as Runepaw and Daisyheart get back from their patrol. I'm making sure you're fine with this?"

She blinked tired green the tom, barely open against the bright glowing golden patch of fur on his shoulder, enlightened by the sunlight pouring in through the hole in the tree. Suddenly, she hated that hole for two valid reasons. Not only was it making it even harder to look at Emberpaw but it allowed her to see what he thinks of her.

He thought she was pathetic. He thought she was weak. He thought she needed his help! All those assumptions were completely ridiculous and they made her pull her lips back and let her head fall back onto her moss, burrowing into its warmth.

"Do I have a choice?" she muttered.

"If it were up to me, I'd rather you came, but it's not my decision, so no. You must come," the ginger tabby mewed kindly, and Swanpaw figured that she'd be in trouble if she didn't come whether it was in her power or not. Fishnose would take her on extra patrols, and she found that a stupid punishment because he didn't enjoy them anyway, especially with her as company.

She flicked an ear, dismissing him. "Whatever. Maybe." She pressed her eyes shut, hoping the tabby would go away, and she heard the scurry of claws on bark. Relief swept through her. She could go back to sleep, the best part of the day.

"Wake up!" a sharp voice snapped Swanpaw to attention. She sat up, her tall, slender form appearing skinny beside the stocky body of Fishnose, who barely fit in the den.

"Was Emberpaw not enough to wake you up?" the grey tom barked, his short tail twitching in irritation. Swanpaw rolled her green eyes at her mentor, groaning.

"No, if you expect a kind-hearted apprentice stroke me awake you're wrong." She then flicked her tail-tip, mimicking Fishnose. The white patch on his muzzle twisted as he sneered lightly.

"Then I'll wake you up each day, noted," Fishnose snorted, scrambling back down the tree trunk, leaving deep indentations with his claws and put into the clearing of the camp. Panic exploded in Swanpaw's chest like lightning striking the sea.

"No no no, Fishnose, wait!" she wailed, but the tabby warrior was already sitting by the warriors den, sitting comfortably and spreading his leg, licking tufts of fur down.

Minnowtail was dragging a perch with Splashpelt over to the elders, their heads poking out of their den in a shallow dip covered by ferns and a bramble roof. Salmonslash kept spitting at the two to hurry up, while Droplettail hushed the old white tom, nudging him back to his nest. Clamheart mea while snorted in scorn at the perch, grumbling something about "the fishes these days are getting smaller and smaller."

With a stiff voice, Minnowtail said, "enjoy," and trotted back to the leader's den, where her mate waited for her, looking out over the camp.

The grey and white tom caught sight of Swanpaw and tipped his head, and a strange uncomfortable feeling urged her to hurry over to Fishnose, which was very odd.