Burgers and Fries 2

My doorbell had been ringing nonstop and I was trying so hard to ignore it but whoever was at my door was very persistent. I had no choice but to drag myself out of bed to see who dared visit and disturb me at this time of day and I struggled and stumbled a few times before I managed to reach the front door.

"Who is it?" I asked in a hoarse voice as I fumbled through the locks.

I clumsily opened my door and my eyebrows instantly scrunched in confusion because she was the last person I would expect to actually see today.

"Jho... what are you doing here?"

"May sakit ka daw?"

She entered my condo without waiting for my permission to let her in and she's carrying a big paperbag with her. I switched the living room lights on and followed her with my eyes as she carefully placed it on my kitchen counter. I watched in bewilderment as she started taking out the contents one by one. I could see that she brought fruits, a large dish of I don't know what and another paper bag of what appeared to be something she bought from Mercury Drug.

"Yeah... fever." I said as I flopped myself on the couch, covering my eyes with my arm. "Ugh, my body is aching all over. You probably shouldn't be here or you'll catch it too."

"Ano ka ba, malakas ang immune system ko sa mga ganyan 'no."

And as if to prove her point, she sat beside me and felt my forehead with her palm. I briefly looked at the expression on her face but I couldn't tell what she was thinking because she had always been good at not showing any kind of emotion when she wanted to.

"Why are you here anyway?" I asked while squinting through the light.

"Tinanong ko si Kim kung bakit wala ka sa school tapos ayun sabi nga niya may sakit ka daw. Nakita ko kasi sa IG story ni tita Det na nasa states pa din sila ng dad at kuya mo so iniisip ko walang mag-aalaga sayo."

I couldn't help but smile a little at that, "So you came all the way here because you're concern about me?"

Jho glared at me and I knew she wanted to hit me but couldn't because I was sick. She sat up and went to the kitchen counter again to get something and came back beside me with a thermometer on hand.

"Ano na lang sasabihin ni tita Det kapag nalaman nilang may sakit ka tapos wala man lang nag-alaga sayo? Hindi naman makapunta sina Kim at yung iba kasi may mga klase pa sila. Nganga."

I already could tell that she's not really in the mood for banter and I probably knew better than to purposely annoy her. I willingly opened my mouth as she placed the thermometer under my tongue.

"So wala ka palang choice?" I asked with a hint of amusement when she was done checking for my temperature.

She only rolled her eyes at me and went back to the kitchen counter, this time, opening the dish that she brought and placing it inside my microwave.

"Kumain ka na ba?"

I had to close my eyes again because I was starting to feel dizzy, "Not yet but I don't have an apetite."

"Kumain ka, may dala akong pagkain. Para makainom ka na din ng gamot."

I honestly didn't have the energy to protest anymore and before I knew it, she was already holding the big bowl of chicken soup in front of me. I could tell that she was seconds away from getting hold of the spoon and feed me herself but my pride won't let her so I was quick to grab the utensil first so I can eat the soup by myself.

I knew that she was watching me eat and I dared not look at her because I felt a little embarrassed and self-conscious. If I was being honest, she would be the last person I would want to see me this way. I didn't want her to see this vulnerable and weak side of me.

I only get to finish half of the bowl and she gave me a banana. I gave her a small grateful smile before taking a bite. There was an awkward silence between us and I couldn't get myself to look at her to see if she was watching me again. She then wordlessly handed me the paracetamol and the glass of water and I drank it without hesitation.

I had to resign to my room right after because the drowsiness was taking over but not before lingering at the door of my bedroom and stealing a glance at Jho to see her cleaning my dishes as if it's her obligation to take care of me in the first place.

The next time I woke up, I was very aware of how dark it was inside my room. I could hear the faint sound of the TV outside the living room. My body still felt heavy but I still found the energy to get up from my bed.

Jho was sleeping on the coach with her arm on her head as a makeshift pillow. She looked so deep in slumber and it made me wonder when was the last time she had a good night sleep.

I cautiously sat on the floor right in front of her just to watch her for a while. I've never seen her looked this peaceful. We've slept together a couple of times, sure, but it was always part of her rule to never sleep over so this was one of those rare moments that I was seeing her like this.

Maybe my fever head was messing with my brain but I thought she looked the most beautiful when she's not aware that someone was watching. I probably secretly watched her enough times to know it to be true.

I suddenly had the urge to reach out and caress her hair but had to quickly retract it because I felt that she was starting to move. She woke up and blinked a few times, taking in the sight of me sitting on the floor. She quickly sat up from the couch as if me being there gave her a shock.

"Bea... Okay ka na?"

I gave her a timid smile, trying not to make it obvious that I've been watching her sleep. "A little. Mukhang effective yung gamot na pinainom mo."

"Nagugutom ka na ba ulit? Teka ipagluluto kita." she was quick to move as if the thought of me starving would be a matter of life and death.

"Jho." I grabbed hold of her hand before she could move away. She gave me questioning look at the gesture and I answered it with a gentle squeeze.

"Thank you for being here."