Chapter 1: Dust

Chapter 1: Dust

Erin closed the flaps of the last cardboard box and smoothed the packing tape over the crack, pressing out any and all air bubbles. Pushing a lock of short light brown hair behind her ear, she shouldered her deep blue duffel bag and carefully picked up the brown cube. Last things out of the house.

"Erin! Hurry up; we need to get going!"

Erin headed towards the front door in response to her mother's call. When she stepped outside and pushed the heavy door shut, she knew it would be the last time her feet touched the cool concrete porch.

She didn't see why her parents had decided that they would move to Utah. Her father wanted to be closer to family, but Erin did not find this to be a satisfactory answer. What was wrong with their house in California? They had never had problems visiting relatives before.

"Come on, Erin," her mother pressed, getting into the car. "The sooner we start our trip to Utah, the better."

"Only it's not a trip," Erin murmured, as she loaded the box into the trunk of their car and plopped her duffel bag down next to it.

"Erin!"

The voice came from several yards away. Erin turned to see Trenna, her neighbor and best friend, running towards her. Her blond hair was a mess, locks sticking out from the crown of her head and from her braid.

"I wanted... to give you this," Trenna told her, in between gasps for breath. She held out a small jewelry box. "It was going to be your birthday gift, but now that you're moving, I had to make sure you got it early."

Erin took the box into her hands and lifted the lid. Inside, nestled in the black padding, was a bracelet. It was a silver chain with charms; silver and royal blue crescent moons and stars.

"Oh, it's pretty," she breathed, removing the bracelet from its box and slipping it on.

"It is. And now we match!" Trenna grinned, holding up her wrist. She was wearing a matching gold bracelet with royal purple accents and suns instead of moons. "They're our friendship bracelets. And you have to promise that you'll never take it off!"

"Even when I'm sleeping?" Erin smiled faintly.

"Even when you're sleeping."

"Even when I'm in the shower?"

Trenna made a face. "Fine, I guess we can make some exceptions."

Erin laughed softly and embraced her best friend, trying to ignore the feeling that she wouldn't laugh again for a long time.

**********

"We're here!"

Erin looked up from her copy of The Hobbit, directing her brown eyes to focus on the location her father was pointing out. The car passed a small, faded wooden sign with Welcome to Barkwood, Utah in painted letters. The l had peeled off, making the sign look like it read We come to Barkwood, Utah.

The town itself wasn't much better. Up ahead was what looked like a large amount of trees. Once the car was in them, it was revealed that the trees were simply growing in the yards of houses, all of which were small and as faded as the sign.

Even though Erin hadn't been looking forward to the move, she decided she appreciated the change of scenery. It was much more relaxed than the large city they had lived in in California.

Finally, the car parked in the small gravel driveway of their new house. It was a very small, one story house that looked like a fairytale cottage without the thatched roof. There was a small, dry yard with a chipped and peeling picket fence, and even shutters on the windows.

"Welcome to our new home," Mom said cheerfully, as she climbed out of the house and unlocked the trunk.

Erin slowly closed her book and stared out the window quietly as her father got out of the car. A leaf drifted down and bumped softly against the glass outside. A gust of wind scattered small patches of leaves on the ground, causing them to drift underneath the car.

Erin lifted her wrist and looked at her new charm bracelet. If Trenna were there, she would have pulled a lovely poem about the scene out of nowhere. If Trenna were there, she would be pulling Erin's hand inside to make her explore. Erin would be a lot happier if only Trenna were there.

But Trenna wasn't there, and neither was Erin's happiness. Glumly, quietly, she opened the car door and set her feet onto the gravel. Several more leaves brushed against her bare ankles, exposed by her jean capris.

"Come on, Erin." Dad, who was hauling a cardboard box up the driveway, tilted his head toward the door. "Let's go inside."

Erin pursed her lips and pulled her duffel bag out of the trunk. Slinging it over her shoulder, she lifted the last box out and nudged the trunk shut. Then she followed her parents toward her new home.

Balancing a box on her knee, Mom pulled out her new key and unlocked the door. When she opened the faded blue oak door, it made a long creak...

Erin closed her eyes. Trenna would have been in awe of the noise and would have written another poem. A haiku, maybe.

The minute they stepped inside the house, Erin sneezed. She sniffed and sneezed again. This time, she could smell it - dust.

There was dust everywhere - blanketing the countertops of the small kitchen nearby, floating in the air, revealed by the sunlight streaming through the window, tinting the carpets grey and brown; flying into the air when Dad set down a cardboard box.

Mom blew out a breath, scattering some visible dust in front of her face. "It could use a little cleaning, but it's nothing we can't handle."

Erin set down her box as carefully as one could, but the dust particles still rocketed up as soon as the cardboard touched it. She suddenly wondered how long it had been since someone had lived in the house.

Dad opened up one of the boxes, waving his hand to clear the air when he did. He pulled out a Swiffer duster and, wielding it like a sword, practically attacked the countertops.

Mom pulled out some lemon-scented Clorox wipes. "Here, go conquer your new room. It's down that hall, first door on your left."

Erin took the canister of wipes and headed down the hall, her feet making dust erupt with every step. When she reached the first door on her left, she found a plain wooden door with a dust-clouded doorknob. Upon polishing it off, it was revealed that the doorknob looked like it was made of old-fashioned black iron. She turned this knob and opened the door.

This time, the door was as silent as she was. Peering inside, Erin got her first look at her new room.

It was rather small, with a tiny closet, dirty carpet, and peeling birch tree wallpaper on one wall. Sunlight filtered through the clouded window on this wall, shedding pale light on a small window seat. When Erin had opened the door, fresh air pushed into the room, causing waves of dust to advance toward the window seat. A small slip of paper fluttered against the window.

Curious, the girl crossed the room and caught hold of the paper. It felt thin and fragile in her hand. She narrowed her brown eyes to read the old-fashioned handwriting, but what she read caused them to widen again.

Dear Erin, the paper began, I hope this window seat brings you many adventures.

But, more curious to Erin than the fact that it was addressed directly to her, was the smaller writing on the back of the paper:

HELP US...