Back to December

It was the cold December air that greeted me.

And even though it was the most wonderful time of the year, I was alone.

"Cheska, what are you gonna do on Christmas Day?" my friends asked.

"I don't know." I answered them.

"What about Ian, aren't you gonna spend it with him?"

"Hmm, maybe. I'll ask him if we could have dinner."

"Why you? Shouldn't it be the other way around?"

I didn't answer after that. It was too complicated to explain to them.

I first met Ian when I was in 3rd year High School. He was the son of the Touka Group CEO. A Japanese-Filipino. He was a gentleman. A boy with talents and dignity. My father introduced us to each other. Then and there I was already captivated by him.

Eventually, our engagement was announced. The Touka Group of Companies and Cortez Industries are to be united. That was the purpose of our union.

A political marriage. No love, just business.

"Ian, are you doing anything on Christmas Day?" I asked. "We can have dinner again if you like."

"I'm sorry Cheska but I've got business to attend to even on that day." he answered. "I have to go back to Kyoto. I can't have dinner with you."

"That's alright. Then I'm just gonna accompany you to Kyoto." I answered diligently.

He nodded. He just nodded. And then be moved ahead of me and went to his office.

There he goes again. I don't call him back though. I'm used to seeing his back.

Even though we are engaged, it was only me who fell. To him,this is nothing. Even as a college student, you could already say he's ready to take over his father's company. But that's not the only reason he can't reciprocate my love. Way back when we were still in high school, I already knew.

He harbors strong feelings for someone else.

We arrived in Kyoto by late morning. Ian said he would stay at a hotel their potential business partner owns. So he said I could go on ahead, without him. And so I did, being the diligent wife and lady that I should be.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Shouldn't you tell Ms. Cheska that you're meeting another girl?" Mark, Ian's bestfriend said.

"Why should I? Its for business, anyway." Ian answered.

"Even though its already announced that you already have a fiancee, the offers never stop."

"Boring. This is all boring. Let's just go and finish this."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I stood outside the hotel Ian was supposed to stay. Suddenly though, Ian, Mark and a girl came out of the doors. When the girl saw me, she immediately rushed to me and said:

"You're the fiancee! What are you doing here?!"

I regarded her for a moment and looked back at Ian. His face was hidden in a scowl of annoyance. I don't know if he's annoyed with me or the girl. Maybe, its me.

"That was quite fast. I expected it to be longer. So did you have a good time talking?" I answered.

"And so, its none of your business!" she said haughtily.

"It is because I'm his fiancee."

"Don't be so confident! He doesn't love you!"

Ah. So this girl also fell for him.

"I know. I've always known he loves someone else. And I bet none of us could ever beat her. But nonetheless, I never plan on giving up. You?" I answered.

I saw at the corner of my eyes the shocked face of Ian and even the ghost of a smirk. The girl walked out on me after that.

Ian and Mark slowly approached me and I met their gazes with a smile.

"You know. I understand that you have work but I'm still lonely being alone in Christmas." I said with a big smile. "So how did it go? Did you have fun?"

"Lady Cheska, Ian was just-" Mark began.

"I canceled our companies beforehand that's why she asked me to come. She tried to press her company and herself to me but of course, I declined. That's all." Ian explained with a cold look in his eyes.

I smiled again. He's not lying. I could tell. I could always tell.

"Well, that's acceptable. But still I am really disappointed." I said.

I scooped up some snow and molded it to a snowball.

"And for that take this!" I said as I threw the snowball.

"Aw! What's your problem lady?!" a voice said.

I stood there in shock. I hit a random person!

"Oh my God, I'm so sorry mister." I said frantically.

"I didn't mean to.. I was aiming for that bastard!"

I looked back at Ian and Mark and was shocked at what I saw.

Both of them were laughing.

"She has the worst aim ever! Same as usual! Hahaha." Ian said.

"And she even said Bastard!" Mark added.

"What the- stop laughing! Damn it!"

I covered my mouth.

"Haha, her attitude's coming out." Mark said.

"Mark shut up. I'm fuckin' warn-. Shit."

i covered my mouth after. I nearly lost it.

But they were still laughing though.

"Interesting." Ian said. "What do you know, we saw a bit of her real character."

"I understand the concept of formalities and etiquette Cheska but seriously, sometimes you are too stiff and obedient."

"Nah, that's just her being stubborn Mark." Ian said while smirking.

"Well, I'm not the only one showing real personalities today." I said. "Wipe that smirk off your face Ian, you look like a demon."

"Hohohoho. It appears she's not planning to censor it now, is she? Well, how about we three go and have some dinner, shall we? Ms. Cortez?" Ian answered.

He offered his arm to and I took it. I looked at him and saw the sparkle in his eyes as if he knows I'm gonna be a fun toy to play with. Nevertheless, I was happy that day.

At least, he noticed me.