i want to break free

Maze wakes up and the first thing she sees standing in front of her is dear old Miss LaVernia, who's carefully cleaning Maze's head wound. Her first instinct is move but the old lady is quick to stop her.

 -Don't let them know you're awake - she mumbles under her breath very quietly to a quite confused Maze, that without a thought obeyed, and right before she closes her eyes, she sees the tall men guarding the door.

 -I'm going to help you escape... - she mumbled again and then slowly got up - I'm done here - she says to the guards. 

 -C'mon then, MOVE! - says one of the guards.

 Maze was quickly coming to her senses and she opened one eye and saw the two guards totally off-guard talking to Miss LaVernia. She could hit them with the chair and escape, but LaVernia signaled her for that she wouldn't. For Maze that seems like the perfect chance to finally escape but she decided to trust the old maid's signal and stand down. The guards left with LaVernia and locked the door behind them. Maze got up slowly with a hell of a headache and she puts her hand to her head and feels the piece of fabric that it's around her head, which she removes as it was untied since LaVernia forgot to tie it. She feels the wound and walks up to her mirror.

 -Well that's gonna leave a scar, ain't it? -she says as she lets out a deep breath - Oh Margo, what am I going to do without you? - Maze picks up this bow that belonged to Margo and she felt like she was going to cry but she picked herself up before that happened. 

 She opened her window and for a split of second she thought of how it all be over if she just jump but that thought quickly fade away because that's when she saw it. Big mast, wicked flag... it was a pirate ship! Her body was immediately thrilled with excitement until the big question popped in her head " A pirate ship... in Friba of all places? " and she was right because not two seconds after that she heard something being fired and the ship didn't take long to retreat.

 It wasn't the first time she saw that happen, but some ended worse than better. Maze couldn't really figure out why do ships keep showing up to Friba once in a while if they know that's what would happen. It almost seemed on purpose... but it didn't make sense why they would risk dying to get there.

 The day passed and Maze kept drawing as that helped her keep her cool. She became quite good at it and she passed a long time drawing. Her sister taught her the principles of painting but Maze always prefer draw to paint. She would always sign as Zee because that was what her sister would call her. Yes, Maze was already short for Mazekeen but Margo wanted a special nickname that only her would call her sister. And Maze called her Mar that she found it meant sea on this language from across the ocean, so it had it's own special meaning because she loved Margo was much as she loved the sea.

 Suddenly, somebody knocks on her door four times, causing Maze to stop drawing and very carefully move in direction to the door and she is confused as why somebody would knock if the door was locked from outside. So she puts herself on the side of the door being cautious. The door starts unlocking and as Maze was ready to attack, Miss LaVernia is the one holding the door.

 -Oh Miss LaVernia, it's you for Poseidon's sake! Why did you knock?- says Maze in a low voice.

 -Had to make sure no one was there with you! And please call me Rose - she says in a sweet voice.

 It's the first time Maze sees this side of her. She used to be soo strict and act so superior. But if Maze really think, Rose has always cared for her and took care of her, she was basically a mother to Maze. And ever since Margo, Miss LaVernia really took like she lost her daughter. Maybe that's why she was helping Maze escape. She didn't want to lose another one.

 - Now c'mon, let's move Maze, I have people waiting for us. - she said smilling right before a guard spiked his sword through her chest.

 - ROSE!- Maze yells and she tackles the guard on the floor while screaming in pain. She reaches for a knife on his waistband and she ponctures his neck with it. 

 It was the first person she killed.

 Maze quickly realized what she did, she had just killed a man and that was the first time she cried in months but it wasn't because she was sad. It was because she was angry. 

 She quickly got up, took the sword and ran as fast as she could until someone said " Hey Maze, this way! ", which made her turn and she saw Miss LaVernia's son, Samuel,  who had became a guard not too long ago but also was Maze's only friend in that hell hole, so she smilled and ran to him hugging him.

 -Maze! Where's my mom?- says Samuel in a worried tone.

Maze looked at him with a sad face and looked at the blood on her night dress.

 -I'm sorry Sammy... but I avenged her. - says Maze with her sad tone.

Samuel takes a deep breath.

 - We better go now!- he says pulling her to the secret exit that leaded to some old dusty tunnels.

 Those tunnels were old and Maze didn't really had idea of their existence. They lead to a forest that was a little far from the castle. She remembered of the times she would pretend she was a princess because she lived in a big castle but now when looking at it she would see the towers where her almighty father lived and powned his next move, like a big crime playground. Little did she know how.