N I N E T E E N

The universe seems to not be working in my favor because wherever I go, I see Austin. Even when I'm about to go to the ladies' room, he's freaking near its entrance. It's making me begin to think that he's stalking me.

"I might file a restraining order soon," I muttered to Jace, who simply finds my dilemma amusing.

"He just has a little crush on you," he shrugged.

"Little?!" I exclaimed. "He's always at the same place as me, how is that little?!"

"Coincidence?"

"Since when do you defend him?!"

"I don't know," he shrugged. "Anyway, what happened when you two hung out?"

"Oh you know," I told him in an angry voice. "He almost touched me inappropriately."

"What?"

"He almost touched my--"

"I know what you mean, but what the fuck?"

Then Jace did the most shocking thing ever. He turned around and yelled, "Hey, dickhead!"

Funnily, a lot of the people looked back at Jace questioningly. It was as if they were all "dickhead". But he was looking at only one person--a blonde haired guy in particular. The said blonde hair guy gulped. He had a good reason to, because Jace looked absolutely livid. It was as if Jace was about to turn into The Incredible Hulk.

"Jace, don't," I said and held Jace's arm. "He's not worth it."

"But it's worth it to defend you, Summer."

In that moment, I swear I wet my pants. Jace has said a lot of sweet things to me but that? That beats them all. That has got to be the sweetest thing that Jace has ever said to me.

Focus, Summer!

Oh, right. I'm supposed to stop Jace from pummeling Austin to a pulp and from getting suspended. I don't want to have to deal with the guilt for being the reason why Jace got suspended even though he'll probably thank me because he'll have no school and whatever the perks are of being a delinquent.

"Thanks, Jace," I told him with a small smile. I felt my cheeks redden at his intense gaze towards me. "But you don't have to do that because," I walked towards Austin with a smile. "I can defend myself quite well."

Then I punched Austin.

***

"Miss Knightly," my principal, Mrs Adams, called me sternly. "I am deeply disappointed in you..."

I sighed and just watched her talk without even listening to anything she's saying. It was probably the same old thing that all the school authority figures say when a student who doesn't really cause much trouble, cause trouble. Blah blah blah, just shut up and get on with what my punishment is please. I know what I did was wrong and I promise I won't ever do it again, okay?

Mrs Adams doesn't seem to be a mindreader because she just kept droning on and on and on. I ended up daydreaming about being at the beach, surrounded by half-naked Dylan O'Brien, Zac Efron and Dave Franco, fighting over who shall slather suntan lotion all over my body. Hmm...

"Miss Knightly!" Mrs Adams screamed. "Are you even listening?!"

My body jerked up. "Yes, sir!" I exclaimed. "I mean, ma'am!"

She sneered at me, which kind of made her look like Severus Snape. Come to think of it, she does look like Professor Snape! With her shoulder length and greasy black hair, hooked nose, and constant scowl, it's as if I'm looking at Snape's female identical twin.