two; the pact

A few days after Halloween it was finally Friday and Matt and I had plans to hang out tonight. After school we met up outside and began to walk towards his house.

"What do you wanna do tonight?" Matt asked.

"I don't really care, I was hoping you would have something fun for us to do," I replied.

"Could we go skateboarding for a little bit?"

"Why not," I said not having any better ideas.

I was really bad at skateboarding and doing tricks and shit like Matt could but I did longboard so I would just go with him to the skatepark and watch him do tricks. We went to Matt's house first to pick up his skateboard but that went quick because his mom wasn't home so we weren't interrogated about where we were going. When we got to my house to grab my longboard we were greeted by my mom in the kitchen.

"Hey sweetheart, I was making snacks for your little brother but you should stay and eat some. I made entirely too much for him to eat," my mom said spreading peanut butter onto some apple slices.

"I'm not really hungry but thank you mom," I responded to her offer.

"I'll take some," Matt spoke up as he walked further into the kitchen.

"Matt!" my mom exclaimed, "I haven't seen you in a while, how have you been?"

"I have been doing alright," he said looking down at the floor. "It has been a little rough with my mom and everything but I'm getting through it."

"Yes, I'm sure that's been tough on you kiddo. If you ever need anything just let me know ok," she replied leaning in to give him a hug.

Matt's mom had started dating a new guy recently and she was staying at his house a lot so she wasn't home very often. She had also been drinking a lot more lately so when she was home it wasn't very pleasant for Matt to be there. My mom had been friends with his for years so she was trying to help her get her life back on track but it was difficult because of her new boyfriend.

"Thank you Ms. Moore," Matt replied flashing her a smile.

"Well we better get out of here," I said picking up my longboard.

"Will you be back for dinner?" my mom asked.

"Probably," I replied. "Just text me and let me know when it's ready. We will come home then."

"Alright, have fun kids," my mom said as Matt and I walked out the door.

I hopped on my longboard and Matt jumped on his skateboard. He always rode in the street so I could have the sidewalk because I was paranoid about getting hit by a car but his motto was "if they hit me I'll just sue them" so he didn't really care about being in the street.

We took the long way to the skatepark so I could have fun before I had to watch Matt show off for 30 minutes. I was always jealous that he could do tricks. He tried to teach me how to several times but skate tricks were just not my strong suit.

After riding around for about 20 minutes we finally arrived at the skatepark and I sat down on my longboard near the side of the park.

"Hey, wanna see me do a trick?" Matt asked with a huge grin on his face.

"Do I really have a choice?" I responded.

"Nope," he laughed skating up onto one of the ramps.

I sat and watched Matt skate around for about 20 minutes until he came over to me. I was just sitting on my longboard rolling around a bit.

"You look bored, do you wanna go longboard for a bit?" he questioned.

"I'm alright, you can keep skating," I responded even though I was super bored and wanted to get out of here. I knew he just had too much fun at the skate park.