Chapter One

I took a deep breath to prepare myself as Mrs. Brandon pulled the car into Anthony's Driveway. I hadn't wanted to come, not really. But I never missed Anthony's parties; I didn't want to hurt his feelings by not coming to this one. It's not like I could call him to explain why, and anyway, they were going to find out eventually.

Mrs.Brandon turned around to look at me. She used her hands to say 'are you sure?' I nodded. I had to do this. I got out of the car and Sophia came out. Quickly, Brandon told her about my....accident.

She turned to me, smiling encouraging. She signaled with her hands. 'Hi! How are you?'

'I'm excited, but so nervous.' I replied in sign language.

'The others are waiting for you, they don't know yet.' I nodded. Taking another breath, I turned to Mrs. Brandon.

'Bye'

'Be good!' She signaled before turning to Sophia. Her mouth moved, but no sound reached my ears. Sophia replied and M.Brandon waved, backing out of the driveway. I smiled shyly at Sophia.

'Are they inside? How many are here already?'

She smiled. 'They are all in there.' I smiled my thanks and slowly walked inside the house. As soon as I stepped inside, the air felt more pressured against my ears. There was a lot of noise. I clutched my pen and notebook closer against my side and stepped out of my shoes. I hesitated a moment longer before walking into view.

Ember, Kira, Anthony and Ana were all lounging on the couch, playing something on Anthony's laptop.

Everyone looked up and their mouths opened as they all began to say something. I looked at the floor nervously, frowning. I couldn't read lips.

The silence was awkward. I peered up to look at the others, and Ana was mouthing something. But I couldn't hear her. I gave a small wave.

After a moment of steeling myself, I went over and sat on the edge of the couch, next to Ember. (She was on the end of the group. Kira sat beside her, Ana had the laptop in the middle, and Anthony was on the other side of Ana.) They all just kind of stared at me with confusion and furrowed eyebrows. Anxiously, I cracked my fingers and looked down, slowly opening my notebook. Ignoring the pressure made by the sounds of them attempting to talk to me, I wrote.

uh, yeahno. I can't hear you. I'm kindof deaf now.

A shocked silence from their part greeted my confession. Ana put down the laptop, handing me my notebook again before pulling me into a hug. Typical Ana. Always being so protective and supportive. I gave a soundness snort before wiggling my arms free. She let me go at that, and then I got pulled into a hug from Kira. I rolled my eyes smiling. Even Anthony gave me a hug after Kira had her share. I was finally settling on the end of the couch again with my notebook, about to write, when Ember wrapped her arms around my waist in a hug. I flinched, not expecting it, but twisted to hug her back.

After a couple of heartbeats, I let go and turned to write something. There was a second of hesitation before Ember let go. All of my friends seemed shocked and sympathetic. The thing with losing your sense of hearing is that you seem to be able to read other people's emotions easier.

So I was on my way to Moncton with Polly and Mum when this truck carrying oils or something slipped on some ice and crashed into us. Mum and Polly got killed almost instantly. I almost died too, but I managed to get out of the car and crawl away before the car actually exploded. I was too close though, and the sound was too loud....so. Yeah. I now live with The Brandon's. Dove and Ivy are nice mothers(Lesbos, yeah! My luck is amazing, right?) And the house is so big. Yeah.