The Funeral

A drunk driver came up on the sidewalk and hit me hard. The emergency services arrived quickly. But it was already too late. I died. And now I'm here, yes I am still here, but not the 'here' where I want to be. I'm stuck in a world between life and death, heaven and earth. I can see everyone, hear the things they say, I can touch them. But they don't feel my presence...

And after the accident, everything happened so fast. So fast that today I will attend my own funeral. The first time I will see everyone again, after my death. I tried to find them earlier but I was lost in this unknown world, until something inside me led me to my house in Buenos Aires again. And this is what I saw there, this is what I heard and this is what I will remember forever...

The funeral

I found them in the living room. Everyone was dressed in black. All the chairs were taken. Everyone's eyes watched how the white coffin filled the space in front while I admired the big picture of me, which stood right next to my coffin on a little stage they built, so everyone could see it. My eyes sparkled, my hair curled lightly and my smile couldn't be bigger. I touched it slightly. That was a good day.

I looked at the crowd that had showed up today. Literally everyone who I loved was here; my family, my best friends, my teachers, Olga and Ramallo, even Lara, Jade, Gery and Alex. I smiled at them, a lot of things had changed; Olga, our housekeeper and Ramallo, my father's assistent had finally realized their love for each other. A boy had tightly wrapped his arms around Lara, Leon's ex, she had eventually found the one for her. Jade was wearing a beautiful ring, that could only mean that she and Alex's dad finally got married and I noticed that Alex and Gery were also together now. My body was filled with happiness for them, but isn't it sad as well? They all found their true love while I had to leave mine behind.

But then I heard his voice; broken, sad, angry, through the microphone and even my happiness disappeared. It was my dad who first came on the little stage. The tears came immediately in my eyes, I hadn't the chance to say goodbye to him. He cleared his throat and took his already wet handkerchief in his hand, before he began to speak, I went to stand beside him, so I could hear every word, loud and clearly.

German;
"Exactly 2 weeks ago, all of this happened. When I heard the news from your friends, I couldn't believe that I lost you too. You had a whole life ahead of you, only 19 years old. But it seems like it wasn't meant to be. That stupid accident had to ruin everything"

"There is one thing that I don't understand. Why is exact your life taken away from us? It's simply unfair. Because my Vilu was the most beautiful girl you could ever know. Her positivity, her loyalty, her kindness, her vitality, her believe, she had everything. She had a different outlook on life, a good one, and I always believed that she would make a change"

"The only thing that makes me happy is that she was surrounded with the most amazing people her last days, doing the things she loved the most. That's why I want to thank Antonio, may he rest in peace, and the teachers of the Studio for taking her under your wings, Francesca, Camila, Federico and all her close friends for always being there for her, but most of all I need to thank that one guy who made her smile every day." He looked at Leon on that moment, and I couldn't hide a smile when he did that.

"Violetta will always be my little girl, and now she's the most beautiful star in the sky, right next to her mother. Maria, take good care of our little girl, I love you. I'll be watching you every night." A tear ran over my cheek as I hugged him tight.

"I love you dad, so much", I whispered. On that moment he left the stage and went to sit next Angie, his girlfriend, again while taking her hand. She hadn't stopped crying since the funeral started and my heart broke seeing her this way. I loved her like a mother and she had loved me like I was her own daughter.