Chapter 23

Madison

It was another Friday night, and Madison had spent it in her secluded study room in the basement to finish her project. She'd put it off until the last minute, plus she'd had a speech presentation due, along with an English paper all within that week. She'd barely had time to do anything else.

Madison looked at the time and groaned when it was already eleven, and she'd barely gotten anywhere. She still had to get up the next day for a track meet too.

The lord was testing her today...

Madison moaned as she'd begrudgingly went back to work, and glanced over at her pale pink Michael Kors handbag with a question in her eyes.

She'd heard a knock at the door and looked up and saw Ali walk in. She 'd worn a loose flannel shirt with an intricately cut black crop top on underneath, her usual torn black skinny jeans and a cute pair of black boots.

"How's it going, Mads?"

Madison rolled her eyes and sighed deeply. "Living the dream."

Ali pouted her extra glossy lips. "It sucks that you're down here alone while the girls go out."

"Aren't you going too?"

Ali looked away, and played with the ends of her hair, which was in a half up style that she'd never worn before. "Actually, I'm taking a break from their drama and doing my own thing tonight, but I still wanted to come check up on you."

Madison was touched. "Well, thanks girl, what are your plans then?"

"Well, don't say anything to them, but I'm actually heading up to the Acoustic Café because I signed up for open mic night."

Madison eyes widened. "Really? I didn't know you sang?"

"Not as much as I used to, but I saw a poster the other week and thought 'why not?,' so I signed up."

"That's awesome! Why wouldn't you tell Lindsay and Mandy?"

"To be honest, it's not really their thing."

Madison frowned. "True, but they are your friends. They should support you."

Ali rolled her eyes. "It's all good, Mads. I just wanted to do something on my own because I wanted a break from UW-Stout's version of The Hills, you know?"

Madison snickered. "So, you're like Justin Bobby with a vagina?"

Ali laughed. "Hopefully, but not as shitty of a human being though."

Madison regarded her unfinished project on the table in front of her. "Well, even though I know you're going to kill it up there, I wish you the best of luck. You know I'd be there if I could."

"It's all good, babe. I get it; you're really fucking busy. Plus, this is my first time in almost, like, three years up on stage, so I'm not sure I'd want you to witness that tragedy quite yet."

Madison snorted. "Oh whatever, you're going to do amazing, sweetie."

"We'll see, but I'm not going to keep you any longer, I know you have a long day tomorrow," Ali wished her good luck and started to walk out.

Madison stopped her. "Hey Ali, let me know next time you're performing so I can make it, okay?"

"Yeah, okay, I will...I will do that." Ali looked confused, but had quickly recovered quick as she'd winked and had thrown a salute as she'd shut the door.

The feeling of melancholy filled Madison's heart. Was it so weird to have a friend that wanted to support their other friends and go see them do what they love to do? Aren't friends supposed to feel like they can share their passions and desires without the fear of judgement? Ali seemed shook that someone actually wanted to go see her and cheer her on.