Back to Diagon Alley

The summer between my first and second year was a lot more eventful than I thought it would be. Upon finding out that I intended to try out for the Gryffindor team, mum started training with me. I had asked her to make sure she thought I was good enough to make the team. Charlie Weasley was sure to be Captain this year, and he had been the one who suggested I try. Imagining being on that team motivated me even more. Charlie was one of the best seekers the school had ever seen. If I could join him, as well as Fred and George, it would be a dream come true.

Speaking of Fred and George, we had been writing at least every few days. They were always keeping me updated on what was happening down at the Burrow. Sometimes I even got a letter from Charlie or Ginny. Those ones were special surprises. 

As much as I wanted to get away and go stay at the Burrow for the summer, being with my parents was a very good thing. I told them almost everything that happened; I carefully decided not to share the parts where I got into trouble. Beyond that, I had made it my mission to make things right with my father. He may not have known anything was wrong, but it was still important to me that I fixed everything. It still stung, what he had said last year. It was perfectly clear who the blood traitors he was referring to were. I had a feeling my father did not appreciate being forced to talk to them at King's Cross Station. 

Mum was always a different story. When we weren't practicing Quidditch together, she was asking me all sorts of questions about their family.

"Where do they live?"

"How many children are there?"

"Couldn't we invite them over?"

That last one always hurt. It would make both of us happy, but I knew the Andrew Faye would think his reputation was destroyed if he hosted a swarm of 'blood traitors' under his roof. Truth be told, I had no idea what was so bad about wanting to know more about muggles, or even being around them. The muggle-born students were just as talented as their classmates; some of them were even better. But these were just things he must have thought I was too young to understand. I found it funny how different my parents were with that.

One particular day, an owl came while we were eating lunch together. He wasn't hard to recognize at all, for the same thing happened every time he flew through the window. Errol was the Weasley's family owl, and he had the habit of fainting and crashing wherever he landed. The first time had been a shock, but we had now stopped paying any mind to his little accidents. 

I put down my sandwich and untied the note from his leg.

                            "Jamie,

                             The family is going into London tomorrow to buy all our school things.

                              Wanna join us? We can start a little tradition.

                                                                                               - Fred"

I put the note down and wasted no time asking if that was alright. Mum thought it sounded like a brilliant idea, which made my father agree. That answer brought a smile to my face, and once he recovered, I sent Errol back with my answer.

The thought of going back to Diagon Alley almost made me burst with excitement. I knew everything that I needed for this year, and I could probably slip away with the twins and visit some of the more interesting shops. Maybe this year I could convince Mum to buy me a new broomstick. She would understand how important it was.

When the next day came I wondered whether or not we would be driving the whole way there; we did it last year because I wanted to see all the cities. It was entertaining for maybe the first hour, but that went away fast. I learned quickly that my dad did not want to make that mistake again this year.

"We'll be Apparating this time. Nothing to worry about, I've done it a thousand times at work." He attempted to assure me. But I knew the stories. I knew people had lost arms doing it. It would be my luck that this would be the time he messed it up.

But funnily enough, I had spent so much time focusing on what could go wrong that I failed that we had already done it. We were already inside Diagon Alley. I had to contain just how happy I was. Hundreds of wizards, young and old walked the streets. I recognized some of my classmates; Cedric Diggory was in Madame Malkin's buying new robes. His dad noticed us and gave an enthusiastic wave.

We didn't have to search long, as it's not exactly difficult to spot a group of 6 redheads moving together. Once the Weasleys were spotted, I grabbed both my parents arms and dragged them along as I ran to catch up. By the time I reached them, I was almost to the floor trying to get my breath back.

"Jamie!" The twins said together. 

"Hey.... guys.." I sputtered out, still trying to recover. The rest of the family promptly turned around and greeted us. 

"Such a pleasure to see you again, dear." Mrs. Weasley said, pulling me into a hug.

"I was wondering when we would have you back." Mr. Weasley noted kindly.

"Jamie, you have to come with us to Quality Quidditch Supplies. " Charlie had a twinkle in his eye whenever he talked about the sport. 

"Molly, why don't we let the kids go on their own and we'll go get all their books." The Weasley patriarch was quick to invite my parents, but never looked my father right in the eyes.

And so Fred, George, Charlie and I all went straight for the Quidditch shop. We spent what felt like hours looking at all of the different broomsticks they had on sale. I knew I had a perfectly good one, but part of me still wanted a brand new one. That feeling of selfishness went away when I looked at the boys. They all pined over the newest models, knowing they would all be better than the Cleansweeps that were sitting at home. I knew it wasn't my fault, but I could not shake the feeling of guilt for the remainder of the time we were there. Charlie had saved up to buy a new pair of gloves, and I settled for a Holyhead Harpies jersey.

We then followed Fred to the local joke shop, called Gambol and Japes. He went with the intent of restocking their supply of both Dungbombs and Dr. Filibuster's Fireworks. While they were still busy browsing the shop, I snuck off to grab those as well as a selection of other things available there. I quickly purchased them, and delivered them to the twins, who at first refused to take them.

"You shouldn't have, you really didn't have to." George acted incredibly sheepish, and still refused to accept the bag. 

"I didn't have to, I want to. Take it." I wouldn't take no for an answer, and shoved all the merchandise in his arms.

After that we met up with the parents, who surprised us each with a glass of Butterbeer, which can only be described as the best drink in the entire world. 

After a swig of his drink, Mr. Weasley asked, "Emily, would you mind if we took Jamie home with us? It would be no problem to take her to school."

"I think she'd love that." Mum smiled her perfect smile, and I knew she was more than content. Before we departed, they said their final goodbyes and handed off all my new school supplies.

"Don't go getting into any trouble this year." Mum said this with a wide smirk on her face, and with the accompiment of Fred and George grinning at each other, I didn't take it to heart very strongly.

I was finally going back to the Burrow; that's what mattered.