chapter one.

Jennifer Grimes was probably one of the very few people that didn't change when the world went to shit

                    Jennifer Grimes was probably one of the very few people that didn't change when the world went to shit. She was still the same immature, humble, and audacious thirty years old she was nearly a year ago. The only thing that really changed was she no longer spent her day's clicking her camera for happy families to place in the hallway of their home, but instead, she clicked the trigger of her gun to protect herself.

                    She remembers the start of it all. Hearing the news on the tv just as her shithead landlord busted inside her small apartment, bleeding from her forearm and scattering around in panic. She remembers having to bash the poor twenty-six-year-old girl's brains out with a stereo. Talk about brutal.

                   Jennifer tried to drive back to her family in Kings County, but the roads were blocked off and everyone was losing their minds. By the time the roads cleared, she'd lost hope that things there were any better, which left her to stay in Meriwether, Georgia, where she'd find a town called Woodbury a few months in.

                   She knew how lucky she was. Being outside the walls that kept her safe was a reality she barely got to face. Staying on the inside allowed her to live a semi-normal life. It wasn't until she met Liam, one of Woodburys citizens, that she was able to feel steady. The two formed a bond after months of him pestering her, and he made her feel like everything might just be okay.

                   Stepping outside of the home she shared with Liam, the sunlight washed over her body, cascading in waves over her skin; allowing her to soak up the Georgia heat. Winter had just ended, and the city wasted no time in letting the sun out, causing Jennifer to tug her mahogany curls into a tight ponytail, stepping off her steps.

                    Flickering her eyes around, she spots a friend, Eileen, sitting on her own on her porch, book in one hand and her large pregnant belly resting under the other. Walking over, Jennifer tugs her lips into a small smile. "Good evening there, Eileen. Whatchya reading this week?"

                    The blonde tears her gaze away from her book to look at the other approaching, a similar smile appearing on her lips as she waves her book around shortly. "Evening, Jen.  I'm just catching up on On The Road. Haven't read it in God know's how l- Ugh." She's cut off by a kick of her stomach, using the hand that held her book to place on her stomach before letting out a short laugh. "Little swimmer here extra kicky today." 

                   Jennifer laughs, leaning against the column that held the porch together, lips forming into a bigger smile as she observes the woman's stomach. "Yeah? Guess he's gonna be a little fighter, huh? Should be coming any day now, right?"

                  "Yup, any day now we're gonna have a new addition to the community," Eileen states, removing her hand from her stomach and letting her eyes glance back up at Jennifer, raising a brow. "Wanna feel the kick?"