PART ONE

CREDIT TO MY SISTER FOR HELPING WITH THE BEGINNING. BlindAggression_

Apocalyptic War Zone
Chapter one

"Okay, just go around back. They shouldn't be there yet. We need to fix the borders." I said quickly before departing from my sister and Jack.

As I boarded up a large window, I was thrown to the ground from behind. My elbows smashed against the pavement. After my gun was knocked from my belt, I grabbed for it frantically. My heart thundered in my chest, as I fought off the grotesque enemy.

"Brooke!" I shouted, "I need you to come get me."

Quickly the enemy was shot down. It's lifeless body thudded against mine. I pushed the mass of rotting flesh off of me and onto the ground.

"Thanks dude." I said as Jack helped me up, and handed me my gun.

"Wait, everyone pause." Brooke said as she looked over to me. Each of us paused the game, "Gavin and Melena aren't fighting?"

"So what? Is that really a reason to pause team mode of Brain Eaters 3?"

"They haven't fought all day..."

"Who are Gavin and Melena?" Jack spoke over the microphone.

"Our neighbors." Brooke and I spoke in unison.

"And they fight a lot?"

"Like everyday." I laughed.

"Yeah so you should go check on them." Brooke nudged at me. "Something might have happened."

Without another word but a loud sigh, I took off my headset and set it on the computer table before walking across the floor to the hall.

The hallway reeked of body odor and moldy garbage which was extremely strange. Covering my nose with my shirt I knocked on the door. "Hey. Guys?"

Silence.

"Hello?" When there was yet another awkward silence, I began to walk off, just as there was a loud rustling. "Gavin? Melena?"

A loud thud peaked my interest, quietly I turned the doorknob and pushed slightly. Through the slit in the door I could see the apartment was trashed.

"Guys?" I whispered as I pushed the door open further. I walked in, a figure limped from around the corner. The figure revealed a tattered bloody face. It was Melena, her eyes were glazed over with a white film and she had blood dripping off her lips. Her torn tank top revealed four large festering scratch marks. She had a dead stare, staring directly at me while low grumbles fell out of her mouth.

My stomach turned in somersaults, twisting flips inside me. My heart pounded against my chest cavity demanding to be felt, threatening to explode. This was genuine fear. With small, choppy breaths I managed utter words.

"Melena?"

As I spoke she lunged towards me, a breathy scream exploded out of my lungs as I sprinted back down the hall and into my own apartment. I slammed the door behind me, and slid down into a sitting position. Curling my knees to my chest I let out small cries and tried desperately to steady my breathing.

"What the hell?" Brooke yelled as she jumped out of her seat at me. "Scarlet?"

My lips wouldn't articulate proper words, my own lungs were suffocating me.

"Scar, breathe. What happened!"

"I- she-" I took three large breaths. "Melena, I don't know- she- her face..."