A Sprinkle of Ludus

Yuri. His name was Yuri.

Not Yuuri. No, no, that was different! He didn't know what the kanji for it would be, nor how it would be written in Russian but the romaji clearly showed the difference.

"I am Minami Kenjirou," he said slowly, hesitant in his broken English.

"Hah?" Yuri Plisetsky looked at him from across the waiting room, earbuds dangling from his neck as he completed a stretch. Then his eyes narrowed, "I've seen you before. You're a fan of that piggy, aren't ya?"

Minami coloured slightly, he knew Yuri was friends with Katsuki-san of course... but a nickname like piggy? He didn't know whether to be amused or mortified.

"I – I am competing in –"

"Yeah yeah, I know." Yuri flapped a hand, "I saw your name on the list."

He went back to stretching, introductions over, and Minami didn't know what else to say. He was a new figure in the World Championships. It took him years to reach the international level, years after Katsuki Yuuri's retirement. So it's not surprising how little he was known, or that no one made the connection between him and his mentor, for a brief period, Katsuki Yuuri. But Yuri knew of course, Yuri remembered him.

Minami could barely stop the grin splitting his face.

Minami carefully plopped two pieces of shrimp on his plate and after a bit of deliberation, a whole skewer of grilled meat. The after party usually had finger foods, and damn was he hungry after all that ice skating. The medalists were mingling in the crowd already and Minami couldn't spot Yuri anywhere – he himself hadn't won a spot on the podium – so he gave up looking for him, snagging a table in the corner and plopping down with his plate and drink.

"Orange juice?" Yuri sniffed, appearing suddenly, "At least that saves you from making a fool of yourself after getting blind drunk."

"Yuri!" Minami said, surprised and pleased, "What are you doing?"

Yuri gave him a look, setting his own food laden plate on the table, next to a flute of champagne. "Eating, duh."

Minami stuttered, "Ah, no – I mean, you have to meet sponsors?"

That brought a scowl to Yuri's face, "Nah, they eat my head like no one else. Couldn't take more of it. Besides, Victor's retired and that piggy too, so you can keep me company."

That statement was almost like a command, but Minami could hear a request in it. He grinned.

They spent the evening in each other's company, eating and chatting. Or Minami trying to, with all the English he knew and Yuri giving short replies as he stuffed his face with food. It was his first proper conversation with the Russian skater, and from up close Minami couldn't help but notice that the Fairy of Russia did look exceptionally handsome.

They only met during competitions. But the way Yuri would slot himself next to him, not talking much but content in his company made Minami preen internally.

"And I ask her – because clearly, she sings well, and she makes music well –"

"I can speak Japanese, you know."

Minami blinked. "You do? I mean, you can? Uh..."

Yuri gave a huff, amusement curling his lips as Minami made a mess of the verbs and tenses.

"Oh thank god," Minami said, slumping back in his chair, switching to Japanese almost immediately, "I mean, I want to improve my English and all, but why is it so complicated?"