Day 3 | questions

FP had been restless all night, thinking over all the possible reasons for Alice not wanting to put the blame on the serpents, but ultimately came to the conclusion that she didn't want an even worse reputation since he was sleeping under her roof now.

The thought hurt him, but he still needed to confirm it. He turned over to look at the clock on her wall. 5 am. He let out a sigh, knowing that he couldn't possibly sleep anymore, but also wondering why Alice wasn't awake yet. Despite only living with her for two days, he had already figured out her sleep schedule.

He knew her, even this version of her, enough to know that nothing small would throw her out of sync. It could be that she didn't have to keep her northside lifestyle up around him, but he knew better than that; she was too proud to drop the facade. He had a feeling it was something different, deeper. Maybe even the same reason that he couldn't sleep.

FP sighed again and pulled himself off the couch and into the kitchen. The least he could do was make her breakfast. And the Alice he knew would tell all for a fry-up.

•••

Alice had been sitting at the edge of her bed for what felt like hours, thinking, tears silently rolling down her cheeks. She felt embarrassed, stupid, naive.

A light tap at her door brought her attention back to reality. She took a deep breath, wiping her tears quickly with her hands so he wouldn't question it.

"Come in" she cursed herself as her voice cracked, giving her away. She really didn't want to show her vulnerability to him of all people.

FP walking in with her real favourite breakfast brought a smile to her face. Despite all the years apart in which she had covered her true self, he still knew her. He was the one person who knew her but she was scared to let him in.

"I uh, I made you breakfast" he offered, stretching the tray out in front of him. He didn't want to overstep when it was clear that Alice was upset.

"I really need to teach you how to cook something other than bacon and eggs" she smirked.

At any other time he would fake being offended, but there were more important issues.

"Can I sit?" He stepped closer to the edge of the bed.

He studied her face, watching as her lip twitched as she tried to resist a smile.

"Sure."

FP raised an eyebrow. He expected one of her usual sarcastic responses. It was as if she had given up pretending to be fine. She patted the space next to her when he didn't move.

"What's wrong, Alice?" He placed the tray over both their laps, so he could steal some of the bacon.

"Hal wants a divorce." She could see the shock on his face from the corner of her eye, but she didn't care. He was blunt about it, so she would be as well.

"Alice I'm so-"

"What? You're sorry? You think you could fool me with that? Now's your chance to tell me I got what I deserve" she scoffed.

FP furrowed his eyebrows, his forehead crinkling in confusion. She really thought he wanted that for her?

"No, Alice, I-"

"And I don't care about the divorce, hell, I've wanted to do it for years, I wish I had now." She cut him off again, laughing sharply. The sound made him shiver.

"What did he do, Alice?" His voice was soft, concerned for her. He knew she was hurt, and it didn't take a genius to find out that her bastard husband was the reason behind it.