Chapter 1

𝗔/𝗡:

𝗧𝗵𝗶𝘀 𝘄𝗶𝗹𝗹 𝗯𝗲 𝗮 𝗳𝗹𝗮𝘀𝗵𝗯𝗮𝗰𝗸 𝗳𝗿𝗼𝗺 𝗡𝗶𝗰𝗼, 𝗼𝗳 𝗵𝗶𝘀 𝘁𝗶𝗺𝗲 𝘀𝗽𝗲𝗻𝘁 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝗕𝗶𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗮. 𝗧𝗵𝗶𝘀 𝗶𝘀 𝗺𝘆 𝗳𝗶𝗿𝘀𝘁 𝘁𝗶𝗺𝗲 𝗮𝘁𝘁𝗲𝗺𝗽𝘁𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘁𝗼 𝘄𝗿𝗶𝘁𝗲 𝗮 𝘀𝘁𝗼𝗿𝘆 𝗹𝗶𝗸𝗲 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝘀, 𝘀𝗼 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗵𝗮𝘃𝗲 𝗯𝗲𝗲𝗻 𝗳𝗼𝗿𝗲𝘄𝗮𝗿𝗻𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝗳 𝗶𝘁'𝘀 𝗯𝗮𝗱. 𝗣𝗹𝗲𝗮𝘀𝗲 𝗽𝗼𝗶𝗻𝘁 𝗼𝘂𝘁 𝗮𝗻𝘆 𝘀𝗽𝗲𝗹𝗹𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗼𝗿 𝗴𝗿𝗮𝗺𝗺𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗰𝗮𝗹 𝗺𝗶𝘀𝘁𝗮𝗸𝗲𝘀 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗽𝗹𝗲𝗮𝘀𝗲 𝗼𝘃𝗲𝗿𝗹𝗼𝗼𝗸 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗕𝗿𝗶𝘁𝗶𝘀𝗵/𝗔𝗺𝗲𝗿𝗶𝗰𝗮𝗻 𝘀𝗽𝗲𝗹𝗹𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗱𝗶𝗳𝗳𝗲𝗿𝗲𝗻𝗰𝗲𝘀. 𝗜 𝘄𝗿𝗶𝘁𝗲 𝗶𝗻 𝗮 𝗺𝗶𝘅𝘁𝘂𝗿𝗲 𝗼𝗳 𝗯𝗼𝘁𝗵. 𝗔𝗻𝘆𝘄𝗮𝘆𝘀 𝗶𝗳 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗺𝗮𝗱𝗲 𝗶𝘁 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝘀 𝗳𝗮𝗿 𝗜 𝘄𝗼𝘂𝗹𝗱 𝗹𝗶𝗸𝗲 𝘁𝗼 𝘀𝗮𝘆 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝗻𝗸 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗻 𝗶𝗳 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗱𝗼𝗻'𝘁 𝗿𝗲𝗮𝗱 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘀𝘁𝗼𝗿𝘆. 𝗬𝗼𝘂 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗮 𝘄𝗼𝗻𝗱𝗲𝗿𝗳𝘂𝗹 𝗵𝘂𝗺𝗮𝗻 𝗯𝗲𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝘀𝗵𝗼𝘂𝗹𝗱𝗻'𝘁 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗻𝗸 𝗮𝗻𝘆𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗯𝘂𝘁 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁.

✩✩✩✩✩✩✩✩

Nico sat in his cabin. It was raining outside, with loud cracks of thunder rolling across the sky. Zeus must be pissed off. Nico thought, last time that hasn't gone so well. Thought Nico with a shudder. The campers knew better to interrupt him on this day, for it's the one day in the whole year when he can bear to think about Bianca and reminisce his old life. The smile. The light splash of freckles across her nose. The way she spoke to Nico in Italian, gently encouraging him to go forward and be brave. 𝘔𝘪 𝘚𝘰𝘭𝘥𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘯𝘰. She called him, my little soldier, the nickname has never been so fitting to him until now. Nico sighed, the thunderstorm continued to go on. 

Flashback:

 It was a sunny morning back in Venice. Bianca gently pulled him along to one of the canals and pretended to push him in. Nico giggled in delight. The family, consisting of Nico, Bianca, and Maria, their mother, had taken a weekend trip to Venice, the city so famous for its gondolas. Since he was small, Nico always liked to go near the water, whether it was swimming, fishing, or rowing. Bianca was the more studious one. With straight A's and unsurprisingly, the highest scorer in the class tests. She was also the older, better, and more responsible sibling. Or Nico thought. Straight after that moment she had pulled him into a shop by the riverside and looked at the brightly colored, 𝘳𝘢𝘪𝘯𝘣𝘰𝘸 even lollipops. He remembered how he had pleaded and pleaded his mother to buy him one, until she had caved in, and how Bianca had taken it and had him chase her around the gondola docks until she'd finally let him have it. He could never forget the sweet taste of the succulent piece of candy on his tongue, the teasing look that Bianca sent him when he finally managed to wrestle the lollipop out of her hands, nor the cool sea breeze that wafted over many miles to the little town that they were in. Then, Maria Di Angelo spoke: "Ho una piccola sorpresa per te stasera, preparati!" (I have a little surprise for you tonight, get ready!) The surprise was all Nico could think about all afternoon, even after getting another lollipop from the exact same shop, but this time not sharing it with Bianca. Finally, after having a delicious dinner of pasta, Maria mysteriously gestured the children to follow her along the docks. Bianca gasped at the beauty of the stars and swore that she was going to visit them one day. Maria smiled and led her children on. Then at a private dock, there was the biggest surprise of all: A private gondola! Maria knew it had been her son's dream to one day ride on a gondola, and she was determined to make that dream come true. She led the children over to the gondola, which they could see a lantern in. Maria took one of the oars and the lanterns, while Bianca took the other. Nico just sat there, enraptured by the softly swaying gondola and the enchanting moonlight. Maria began to sing.