Yellow

She turned up looking beautiful in a yellow dress on their fifth ‘friendly date’. After that lucky day stuck in a telephone booth, they had decided laughing their asses off, that what they had done was absolutely ridiculous. Sam had taken up the opportunity to state with details what her dear mother would be looking like at that moment. She was certain she hadn’t yet even placed her phone down. Her mouth, adorning a nude lipstick must be still open with shock as her perfectly manicured hand must be on her heart, as though recovering from a heart attack. Laughing at her vivid impressions of what was supposed to be her mother, Leo laughed whole heartedly as the rain drops slowed down gradually and they finally moved out after what seemed like ages, but in reality was just a couple of minutes.

He stood up nervously as she approached his car. He wanted everything to be perfect, as she didn’t yet know what they were going to do or where he was taking her. His heart elated because of the fact that she had trusted him enough to go out with him without wanting to know the place. He knew it was a risk that could end their friendship if things didn’t go as planned, and that made him nervous. So nervous, he was almost sweating with anticipation of what would follow. He hoped desperately that she didn’t have really high expectations, and that she wouldn’t feel irritated because of his choice of place. It had a special place in his heart and life, and so he hoped reverently that she would see that and accept him as he was, with this side as well.

Her curly brown hair was straight today, not that he was complaining. She always managed to take his breath away whenever he saw, whether it be in a pretty dress or it be drenched to the feet. She smiled that amazing smile and his heart went on a roller coaster ride. He smiled back and started the car. He had been wearing contacts, and Sam could clearly see the bright blue orbs that looked so captivating compared to her dull grey ones. She had worked on looking amazing more than she would ever confess. She just knew it was important for Leo, so much that he had insisted to go wherever he wanted to take her instead of go to the starbucks outlet, since he would never say no to coffee unless he had pretty much no option left. Because let’s face it, boys and food are practically inseparable.

Instead of being disappointed at the sight of the grungy building Sam seemed more curious. Taking that as an encouragement, Leo escorted her inside, trying to calm his ever increasing nerves. This was the first time he was going to take someone in his lair, and she probably was the only person who would be welcome there.

“Close your eyes. I promise I won’t kill you”, joked Leo as Sam closed her eyes without questioning him once. After getting over another pang on his heart, Leo opened the door and asked Sam to open her eyes, hoping reverently that she wouldn’t find this stupid. He had talked about everything from cheesy to something totally abnormal, but this was something close to his heart and he found this was the best thing he could do.

Sam opened her eyes to find a workplace of sorts. An artist’s lair. She knew Leo was an artist and so realised that he had taken her to his work place. She took a tentative step forward with wide eyes as she took in the place. Not a single wall was bare. Amazing graffiti adorned all the walls. The room itself was full of canvases and paintings, some covered with a paper and some open. Her breath hitched up when she saw the beautiful brush strokes and the vibrant colour splashes. Leo ran a hand in his short hair, watching Sam with the same fascination she had while watching his art. No wonder she had managed to snuggle her way in his heart.

“Leo…this is beautiful! How come I never saw your work before? I mean this… this needs to have an audience. I’m sure there will be people out there who will adore your work and appreciate it!” Sam said excitedly. She knew Leo had to be a great artist, but this was beyond amazing. He smiled at her sheepishly and walked towards a covered canvas.

“I hope you don’t kill me for this….” His voice trailed off as he uncovered the canvas. Sam started walking towards the painting, her eyes never leaving the canvas. It was raining in the picture, and there in the middle stood a red telephone box with a girl inside. The girl had an annoyed look on her face, her hair springing wildly because of the rain. She looked beautiful even though she was drenched. It was her.

She kept staring and staring at the picture. It was the day she had first met Leo. He remembered every single detail. He had portrayed her to look so beautiful, which she was sure how she looked from his eyes. This realization made her heart flutter. No one made her feel as special as he did just by doing small sweet things.

“Sam...Are you okay?’ Leo asked tentatively. Her blank expression made him very worried. What if she thought this was creepy... what if she stormed out and never talked to him again…

These thoughts kept running in his mind as she continued to remain silent.

“Sam… I know this seems wrong, but I’ve wanted to say this for quite some time now… I … I wanted to say that… “Sam stuttered as his hand messed up his hair yet again with nervousness.

Sam turned to look up at him, and then snaked her arms around his neck while placing his hands on her waist. She suddenly kissed him and Leo stood there in shock for a second before kissing her back.

Smiling widely, she just said a single word – Yes.