Fifty-eight

I spend the entire afternoon at Sam's. It's been quite a while since I last dropped by. Her place is so Samantha-like, modernly furnished in ocean blue—her favorite color—from the sofas to the bed. The walls are pale cream with a little shade of blue on one side.

And a huge portrait of herself, Merilyn Monroe style, is hanging on the wall.

We just watch movies, do our own manicure, eat junk food and drink unhealthy cola. I mean, who cares? It's a vacation after all. Considering my current predicament, this is just fine. At least I try hard to fake it by staying oblivious of my memories of Montana and the whole adventure that followed.

"Do you realize what you're doing to yourself?" Sam asks with a pitying face.

"Me? What am I doing?" I chug on my drink, smothering a smile.

"You can't fool me with your forced smiles, Kira. You look unhappy."

Well, I am unhappy.

"Don't worry about me, love. I'll be fine in time. We can't have our way in everything; it's what I've come to realize lately. And if this is my share of hell on Earth, then so be it. I'm not the only person with a broken heart, many people live with pieces," I remark coolly.

"Oh God. Okay." Sam sighs heavily, sliding a pizza box toward me. " Just eat more, because I know you'll burn the calories the minute you crucify yourself in the ocean trying to beat up the waves."

I bite a slice with a laugh.

"I think I'll have to go to New York," I say after a few minutes.

"What?" Sam sits up abruptly from the fluffy rug full of scattered pillows.

"I know it's crazy but I'm willing to lose my mind for once and follow my heart, Sam. I'll go to him just like he came for me." My mind is decided on this.

Sam blinks several times.

"Okay, wait!" She sits straight, giving me a concerned look. "You can't possibly fly to New York and get lost like Kevin, can you? I mean, are you sure about this, Kiki?" Her laughter becomes unrestrained.

"I am." I laugh along. "The worst case scenario is for me to get crazy over there and jump into the Hudson."

"What a plan," Sam mutters, amused. "What if you don't find him?" She glances at me, somewhat worried.

My heart withers. What if?

"Well, if I lose, I'll just fly back home. End of the saga."

"You've lost it." Sam lays back down, and I can't say she's wrong.

"Enough of my boring story! Seat your ass straight, and tell me about Jonathan." I urge her for some cheesy gossip.

When Sam tells me about her dates with him, I can't help but notice the sparkle in her eyes. She sounds pretty happy and excited, speaking of him, and I pray this time they are into something strong.

Honestly, Jonathan is the only guy who's ever loved my friend truly. I'm sure he won't play around with her like those funky guys she usually goes out with. He is matured, sensible, and reliable.

I'm so happy to hear they're having a wonderful time together.

***

Back in my apartment I spend a very quiet evening. Sam left in a hurry after a mysterious phone call as soon as she drove me back. That girl! She's always onto something unusual. Music and a book become my bestie and time seems to fly so slowly.

An hour later I hear a pound on the door and I guess it's Amelia. A smile stretches my lips as I could really use her presence right now. Sluggishly, I abandon the comforts of my plush and lower the music volume, before I wander towards the door.