Chapter 1

Mystery looked at the mountain looming over her. She could hear her father's voice in her head. ' It's almost as big as your grandpa's belly!' She cracked a smile and glanced around at the other dragons arriving, looking for someone. She heard someone yell out behind her.

" MYSTY!!" Bubble exclaimed, tackling Mystery to the ground. The Seawing's greenish-blue scales merged with Mystery 's midnight purple in a blur of wings and tails. The two dragons laughed for a while, ignoring all the weird looks from the other dragons. When they pulled themselves together, Mystery looked at the Seawing who was now brushing off her scales.

" How's your sister?" Mystery asked, but immediately realized it was a mistake.

" Well she..." Bubble began. " She isn't getting better. The doctors are saying she might not make it," The Seawing squeezed her eyes shut, as if trying not to cry.

Mystery couldn't help but hear what Bubble was thinking. She better be alright! I need her to be alright. Bubble!! Don't CRY on your first day! Mystery wrapped a wing around Bubble's shoulders.

" Hey, it's okay! I'm sure she'll be fine!" Mystery comforted her, though she wasn't sure. " Let's go inside!" That perked up Bubble.

They walked through the doors and realized they were early. They saw a dragon handing out scrolls and Mystery realized that the scrolls had names on them. Bubble bounced up and got both of their scrolls.

Mystery took hers and saw that she was in a winglet with Bubble, but did not share a room with her. Instead, she shared a room with an Icewing and a Sandwing. She said good-bye to Bubble and headed off to her room.

The others in her winglet were a Sandwing named Fennec, a Rainwing named Iris, a Skywing named Phoenix, a Mudwing named Auburn, a Hivewing named Velvet, a Silkwing named Azure, a Leafwing named Ivy, and an Icewing named Crystal The winglet was all girls because, Mystery assumed, the teachers didn't want any romance in the first year. It seemed that it was going to be a fun year with no drama and an easy curriculum.

Mystery finally got to her room and Fennec was already there. She was curled up on the ledge and eating a lizard she most likely got from the prey center. There was a bed of fabric and feathers, as well as a stalagmite laid on it's side.

Mystery cleared her throat, which came out ruder than she had hoped. Fennec looked up from her lizard, startled and stopped chewing. Fennec swallowed and jumped off the ledge. Mystery didn't say anything, afraid that she had offended the Sandwing.

" Hi. You must be Mystery, right?" Fennec asked. She seemed friendly enough.

Mystery breathed a sigh of relief. " Yes, I'm Mystery. And you're Fennec. Sorry if I'm annoying or mean or smelly or loud or rude or snobby or a know-it-all or anything like that," She didn't want Fennec to hate her, if she was going to share a room with her for a few years.

" Eh, I've lived with worse. It's nice to meet you. I was worried I was going to be sharing a room with an eleven year old!" Fennec said.

" Or a smelly boy!" Mystery added. Fennec giggled at her joke.

" Yeah! By the way, how old are you? I'm fifteen" Fennec said.

Mystery nodded, walking toward the bed of soft fabric. " I'm also fifteen. My sixteenth hatching day is in a few weeks. What about you?" She asked, sitting down.

Fennec gasped. " Same! OMYGOSH! What day!?!" She was now bouncing up and down.

" October fifth," They both said at the same time. Mystery flapped her wings happily and Fennec squealed with delight.

" What in the world?! Why are you guys screaming?" Said a very confused looking Icewing. The Icewing had walked in so quietly that not Mystery nor Fennec had noticed.

" Oh, we just found out that we hatched on the same day and are the same age, nothing special. Oh, wait, it IS special!" Fennec explained." Right Mystery?"

Mystery just nodded and touched the white leather pouch that hung around her neck. It was made by her mother before she died, and it contained a pearl enchanted by Bubble's sister that made it hard to read minds and also keep her emotions in check. Before, she was extremely emotional and even dangerous sometimes. She got the pearl when she was seven. She got the pouch when she was six. A few days after she got it, she watched as her mother was slain after challenging the queen for the throne.