One

Morgan Willow stared intently at the blue file glowing under his nose. It contained the standard personal information of his new interest, as well as a short resume of her background, education and time spent at the Fourth. No matter how many times he looked at it, the goose bumps never quieted, crawling up and down his arms like last week's memory scan. It was ugly, repulsive even, to an almost impressive degree. Exactly what he needed for his next project.

A sudden shrill ringing cut through his thoughts. Willow pounced on his work phone, inhaling sharply to catch the drool leaking from his chapped lips. Freshly manicured nails dug little red crescents in the palm of his hand as he squeezed the coiled phone cord with every impatience he struggled to keep at bay.

You look so much prettier when you smile.

"Thank you... Morgan." He bared his teeth sweetly after pausing for a moment, pupils dilating. He got up towards the wall of tall, glass windows beside him, barely a spec against warm light to the outside world. "Chairman speaking. New car, I see."

"All part of the plan," I chuckled on the other line as I pulled up in front of the main building. I imagined myself as a blurred silver bullet in the quiet working hours of the night. "The director will see you now."

Willow glanced down at his wrist with a hardened expression, pressing his lips together. Shiny numerals on the face of his wristwatch told him we'd get there in about thirty minutes. "I'll be right down... And the girl?"

"Tomorrow morning as promised. All part of the plan."