Chapter 22: Lies of Omission

++++++

I'm not sure how, but it came back. Just as bad as it used to be. So now, I keep my inhaler on me all of the time. Just like I used to. And it's been five days. We haven't seen any new Chimeras, and we haven't seen the Dread Doctors.

School seemed to be dragging on and on these days. As Scott looked down the halls. 

We all go to school, pretending like nothing's happened. But everyone seems to know.

He saw that no one seemed to be smiling. Everyone had dark and sullen expressions on their faces.

You just walk down the halls and no one's smiling. No one's laughing. You get the feeling that everyone can sense that something's coming. They just don't know what is, or how bad it's going to be. Every time I feel like I should do something about it, I find myself reaching for my inhaler.

Scott glances down at the inhaler that was now sitting in the palm of his hand. 

Like I'm going to take a hit of it, and come up with some brilliant solution on how to save everyone. But I don't know what to do. I don't think anyone does. Maybe that's why no one's really talk to each other. But I think some of us are okay with that.

Scott looks up, his eyes landing on Luna, who was down the hall, grabbing books from her locker. With a hand on her locker, she was about to close it until her eyes landed on a photograph taped to the inside of her locker. It was of her and Kira. The pair were smiling widely at the camera. Not wanting to think of Kira leaving, she slammed her locker shut, heading towards her next class. Scott watched her leave.

Because not talking makes it easier to keep secrets. And I don't know if anyone's really lying about things. Maybe it's more like lies of omission.

As Scott made his way to class, he barely noticed Malia, and she barely noticed him. She was overlooking printouts of all the evidence gathered about the Desert Wolf. She had gone to Stiles' room and taken all those pictures while he had been out. Malia, Luna and Stiles didn't notice Scott walk into the classroom.

++++++

Liam pushed the door locker room door opened, letting it slam shut behind him. He was furious at what Scott had said to him in there.

We can protect each other.

Liam let a heated sigh loose. Protect each other? How was Scott planning to do that? Liam was so wrapped up in his thoughts that as he turned a corner, he bumped into a person.

"I-I'm sorry."

A familiar laughed sounded through Liam's ears. Glancing up, he was relieved to see that he had bumped into Luna and not a stranger. "Hey, Liam," she grinned at him. "Penny for your thoughts?" Liam shook his head. "It's nothing," he muttered.

"Hey," Luna said softly, placing a comforting hand onto his shoulder. "You can tell me anything. You know that right?" Liam nodded. "It's just...it's a full moon tomorrow." Luna nodded in understanding, drawing her hand off his shoulder. "And you're already starting to feel it." Liam nodded. "Yeah."

"And it's not just any full moon. Apparently it's a super moon which means it's gonna be closer to the Earth-" Luna paused, studying Liam's face. "But something tells me you already know that."  

"I do." 

"Okay. Well, just remember, I'm here for you. Don't hesitate to call me." Luna gave the young boy a smile before heading off down the hallway. Liam watched her go before moving to head off for the parking lot to meet Hayden.

++++++

Scott was in a daze yet again in class. At the sound of Theo's voice he snapped out of it, glancing up at him. "Hey. I need to talk to you about something." Scott could feel that Theo seemed nervous and anxious all of a sudden. "You okay?" "It's not really about me. But it's something I probably should've told you a long time ago." "What is it?"