Writing prompt 32

Patton was doing some late-night grocery shopping because Addison wanted to sleepover. She called him around 11:30 pm stating she needed to come over. He didn't know if this was her wanting to get away from her step-dad or just wanting to spend some time with him. He didn't overthink it because he wanted to see her face. When he met Addy her mom didn't have a significant other. It was just the two of them so when her step-dad came in the picture she was kind of distraught. Especially when they started having kids. Her step-dad is very strict so she just stays in the house and looks after her half-siblings or studies. So since she couldn't go out often Patton decided to just let her stay over. Usually, they would have a movie night so he decided to stop at the store near her house to get their favorite snacks. He grabbed some Hot Cheetos, cheez-its, peanut crackers, and sherbet ice cream. After checking out he soon arrived at Addy's house. He didn't pull up on her driveway to wake up her parents. He stopped two houses down and texted Addison that he was here. Soon enough she hopped her fence which she did so gracefully from months of experience and ran towards his car.

"Hi Pat." She greeted him once she caught her breath. Her long wavy brown hair was in a messy bun and she was wearing leggings and a tight-fitting pajama shirt. He greeted her back and drove off to go to his house. But before he turned onto the main street she asked: "What do you wanna do tonight?"

"I was thinking about the usual movie night. I got our snacks and some new crime movies." He told her as she looked to the back seat where the shopping bags were.

"That sounds exciting but before we have a crime marathon, can we go visit a place my mom told me about?" He nodded his head and put on a GPS. Soon they drove up to an abandoned warehouse.

"Addy why are we here exactly?" He questioned. She looked at the warehouse in awe before she answered his question.

"Mom told me my dad used to be the CEO of this building. They used to sell some gadgets she couldn't remember the name of. I just wanted to see if she was lying. But look his name is right there!" She said cheerfully as she pointed to the wore down sign. John's Tech Industries.

"Wanna look around?" He asked unbuckling his seatbelt.

"I don't know Pat. It could be some weird stuff in there. My mom said his business flopped right after he left us." That was when Addy was four or five.

"That's also why my mom put flashlights in my glove department. I also have my baseball bat in the trunk if you want it. Just stay with me and we'll be fine. Unless rats frighten you?" He teased.

"Fine let's go explore. I wish we had Mason and Nelly though. Then we could really be the Scooby Gang." She joked getting out of the car. He laughed and handed her a flashlight. Once they reached the entrance Patton noticed it wasn't locked but jammed. After a few forceful pushes they were in. It looked horrible inside. Spider webs infecting everything around, but also looked like the building was decaying from a fire. Ashes were all over the floor and a burning stench was still in the air. Addy still looked around in amazement. "Hey, Pat look! The uniforms are hideous" She said holding up a green and yellow shirt.

"I think its a good color combination." Pat stated before turning around to go downstairs. Addison was following him. They came across a work station when pat noticed a bunch of junk. "Addy do you know what they were making?" He rummaged around some more stuff waiting for her answer. She didn't and he turned back to see if she was still there but she wasn't. He shook off the dust on his hand, grabbed his flashlight and rushed to find Addy. "Addison where'd you go he called out. He went inside an office to check if she was in there. She wasn't but he found a news article. 

Workers at John's Tech caught in fire after a device malfunction. About 20 people survived but CEO John and multiple others found dead. "Hey Addy you might wanna read this." He said grabbing the paper as he exited the room. He heard a scream from upstairs and knew it was Addison. He rushed up a flight of stairs to see if she just saw a little rat but she ran right past him screaming "Run."

He didn't think and looked her way in horror and saw flashes of fire being thrown his way. He could hear Addy screaming in horror as he felt immense heat all over his body. He didn't realize if but around him the room was in flames. Patton couldn't see as the flames grew higher but he heard a loud bang. Next thing you know the fire was gone and Addy was dangling his lucky baseball bat.

"Pat your shoulder!" She cried out and he saw a little flame on his shirt. He started patting it panicky and the little flame went out.

"Addy, what the hell just happened?"

"I don't know and I don't want to stay and find out." She said walking towards the door. "Let's get out of here before more things show up." As they were trying to find there way out Pat was telling her about the news article he discovered. Addison then started mumbling things to herself and the only thing Pat could make out was 'myth'.

"What myth Addy." She pulled Pat into one of the working rooms.

"I don't remember my dad much but he used to tell me about fire creatures. He told me long ago there was a little village controlled by Rayson. The people loved him but didn't agree with him when it came to burning people who he claimed as witches. So they intentionally decided to cause a fire to anger him, but it ended up killing him. Somehow the rage he held onto when he found out his people went against him turned him into a fire creature. He decided to burn his village down and start a new one with fire creatures."

"So you're telling me that your dad was a fire creature or a fire creature started the fire. Did you hit your head on something?" Patton asked inspecting her.

"Quit it Pat cause I'm being serious. Whatever we saw was a human! I hit

it with your bat!" Addison exclaimed show him his bat. It had some serious burn marks.

"If you are correct, we need to get out of here now. Because according to this over 50 workers were lost in the fire." Patton said grabbing her hand and rushing her out of the room. Addy followed after him and they sneaked around a couple of corners. Pat felt some serious heat coming from the main pathway they took to get upstairs so that way was a no go. They were stuck. "Addy I'm going to go first and distract them. Once you get to the car count to 20. If I'm not there by then drive off okay?"

"Pat I can't leave you!" Addison started to explain but he was already making his way down the path, beating the walls with his bat.

"Go now Addy!" Pat yelled as he swung his bat towards a creature. Pat watched Addy run out the front entrance to safety while hitting another thing. Now that he knew she was safe he had to find a way out of this hell. He had no time to think because the fire was starting the spread everywhere. If Addison was right the creatures wouldn't hurt him because they needed him to burn in the fire. Patton was focusing on the wrong things. So instead of fighting the creatures, he bolted towards the exit. Pat knew it was past 20 seconds but he also knew Addy wouldn't drive

off. So as he was bolting things were falling apart around him. A piece of ceiling almost hit Pat as he went out the door. When he finally reached his car Addy was waiting for him in the driver's seat. She didn't even wait for Pat to put his seatbelt on before flooring it. "This is exactly why you don't have your license." He joked.

"Are you seriously joking about my driving skills when you almost died!" Addy exclaimed driving faster.

"Before I answer your question can you pull to the side of the road and switch seats with me. I don't need cops on our asses too." Pat was clutching onto the handlebar.

"Fine!" Addy said and they were getting out of the car. As Pat was walking to the driver's seat he heard a big thud. He and Addy turned around to see the warehouse crumble in ashes. Pat also heard the fire trucks wail in the distance speeding down the road.
"Addy I just wanted to watch crime movies."
"Well, then you should've let me drive. I would've gotten us home faster."
"And a speeding ticket" Patton added. They continued bickering even when they reached home. Pretending like nothing ever happened.