Chapter 5: Saving Michael

2007- Los Angeles, Hospital­

Maria appeared inside L.A Hospital. Dozens of sick people of all ages sat in the waiting room. There were lots of coughing and sneezing from time to time. Shrill cries of children whining from the boredom and delay filled Maria's ears as she contemplated on how to approach the receptionist.

Finally, she mustered up the courage and headed towards the reception table.

"Give me the best doctor you have."

The nurse looked at her for a brief moment and shrugged. The keyboard made soft noises as she typed a few names.

"We have Dr. Conrad Mu–"

Even the first syllable of the doctor's name brought such fury within Maria. Unconsciously, she slammed her fist on the table.

"No!"

The nurse gasped. Her eyes widen in fear and then annoyance. The people at the waiting room turned to look at the commotion. Even the children stopped wailing and stared at Maria curiously.

"Madam, I'm just doing––"

"I'm sorry, Miss. I really am. I just want another doctor. I don't trust that guy."

"But you haven't even met him.'

"I've got psychic powers," Maria smirked. She doesn't care if people perceive her as foolish right now. She will do anything to save Michael.

The nurse shook her head. "We have Dr. Alyson Sanchez."

"Great. I need her number, please."

Maria punched the doctor's number on her phone quickly, almost breaking her phone screen.

"Hello? This is Dr. Sanchez. How may I help you?"

"Doctor, we've got an emergency at the address I'll be sending to you. The patient is a child with a flu. She's a very important person and she'll be mugged by the crowd the minute she steps outside the house."

"A celebrity, I assume?"

"She can't breathe, doctor. You need to hurry!"

"Oh, goodness! I'm on my way."

Maria felt a new sensation flowing through her body. She felt lethargic and hot at the same time. Her head ached for the millionth time and she knew at any moment, darkness would greet her. In pain, she forced her eyes shut.

"She'll be fine. I'll stay here until her temperature goes back to normal."

"How long will the medicine work?"

"Couple of hours. It's a small dosage but it's powerful for her age. No worries."

Maria found herself laying on a brown dusty carpet. There were voices engaged in conversation just above her. She stood up and realized she was inside Michael's mansion again. She made her way upstairs and searched for Paris' room. It wasn't all difficult since her door was slightly ajar. She knocked before revealing herself.

A young Paris laid on the bed. Her brown hair in a matted mess. Beads of sweat formed on her head and her clothes were drenched with the aforementioned liquid. Her chest rose and fell in rapid speed. A dextrose was attached to her hand.