xxii.

I wasn't sure how long I was walking around in the woods but I just didn't want to go home. I had so much thinking to do about what Nate had said. I don't know why it was bugging me when he could be a full blown liar. My second cousin, really? He's trying to use the family card on me? Why because I was once the little orphan girl and now he's trying to tell me he's family?

Something touched my face and turned into liquid. I tilt my head back to see soon slowly appearing again. Oh great, more snow. I felt someone behind me and I turned around to see Killian walking over towards me.

“Devin home.” he said. “Where you haven't gone. I had to come look for you.”

“I was just thinking.” I said as he took me in his arms. I tilt my head back to look up at him, “So how pissed are you I got sorta of arrested."

“I think your very dumb.” he said. “But at least your pretty.” he jokingly said making me grin. He sighed heavily, “Mat, what were you thinking? We told you not to and of course you do the opposite. Why?”

“Their my parents.” I said. “What if you were told to stay away from your parents? You could never see them again and never fully know who you are. I know Alpha Lincoln isn't going to let this go. He's gonna be on my butt about this for God knows how long.”

“You gotta show you respect him—“

I pulled away and scoffed, “Show him? I have done enough to try and respect that man. I branded myself for him and this pack. I still get treated like an outcast and a criminal.”

“Well if you just follow pack rules you wouldn't get into trouble.” he said and I rolled my eyes as I turned around, walking away. He came up beside me as we walked, “Mat, I’m serious. Why is it so hard to just listen to people—“

“I hate being told what to do. Especially if it's something I want.” I told him.

“And what do you want? Rogue mommy and daddy?” he asked and I quickly turned to him, glaring at him. I grabbed him by his shirt and started pushing him back but he grabbed my wrist, pulling me away. “I'm sorry, that came out wrong. I know you want your family, Mat.”

I pulled my wrist away, “I wouldn't expect you to understand. You're a spoiled little Beta son—“

“Shh.” he said as his nose flared as he sniffed the air.

“No Killian, you know that's true.”

“Be quiet.” he said, surprising me as he looked around. I was about to ask what he was doing but this strong order smell hit me hard in the face and I brought my hands up to my nose. It reeked like dirty moldy water.

I heard something behind me but when I turned around nothing was there. Again I heard the sound of air being whipped like someone was quickly running.

“Who's there?” Killian asked. Every direction the wolf tried to scare us as we were going in circles. I was starting to get dizzy when Killian grabbed me by the hand and tugged me before we ran away.

“What's happening?” I asked as we ran away from the unknown smelly wolf.

“I don't know! Just keep running.” he said as we ran trying to get to the outskirts of the woods to the road.

We ran for about about a couple of moments before we found something. We slowed down a little as we got closer until we were only a few feet away to see it was a young woman. She was laying on the ground on her back with her eyes wide open. She smelled like one of us though and I know she was a wolf.

“Is she. . .?” I couldn't bring myself to finish because looking down at the dead she-wolf made my stomach turn.

“Dead?” we heard from our right, making us jump as we turned to look at older dark haired wolf stepping our way. He was about his mid-thirties and the one that smelled. He walked over towards the other side of the she-wolf and bent down next to her. “Not yet. She's stuck in a paralyzing state.”