Cruising

My eyes opened with a start and I sat up sweating. I dreamt that I accidentally fell overboard and this dark figure leapt in to save me. It was too bright and hazy for me to see who he was. Shaking my head, I groggily made my way to the bathroom and started my morning routine.

Before leaving, I made sure to check if my belongings were complete. I opened the door to leave and what I saw made my heart skip a beat. Ian was standing there, with his hand raised, ready to knock on my door.

"H-hi," he said, eyes wide.

"Ian! What brings you here?"

"Uh, I just wanted to ask if you wanted to go to breakfast together." He rubbed his neck nervously.

"Oh," I couldn't hide my smile. "Yeah, sure."

We walked the halls side by side, making small talk. The breakfast buffet was located at the other side of the ship so it was quite a walk to get there. We passed a hallway of french windows, overlooking the glistening ocean.

"The ocean's so beautiful, especially during the morning." I told Ian.

"It is," he paused, "'I'm actually a thalassophile - a lover of seas and oceans."

"You are?" I looked at him, interested.

"Yeah. My grandparents lives near the sea. Their house has amazing views of the sea. I practically grew up there."

We arrived at the breakfast buffet, cutting off our conversation. Ian offered to reserve a seat for us while I went ahead to get my food.

In the middle of our meal, Ian spoke up, "So, Chloe."

"Yeah?"

"What are you planning to do today?"

"Um, nothing much. I was just planning to go wherever my feet would take me."

Ian chuckled. "Well, I was planning to go watch one of the shows tonight. Do you want to come with?"

"Sure! On one condition though."

He raised his eyebrows, "What is it?"

"Come with me to the shops and be my photographer for today." I smiled sheepishly. "It would be such a waste to not take any instagram pics on a cruise ship!"

"Thank God," he sighed, relieved. "I thought you were going to make me do something illegal."

"What!" I gasped, "Do I seriously give off that vibe?"

"Yeah, you actually do." He laughed.

I made a face at him, which just made him laugh even more.

We spent the morning checking out the shops that I missed yesterday. Ian helped me pick out couple watches for my parents. I also bought four identical dresses, but with different colors, for my sisters and myself. During the afternoon, Ian was my photographer. I swear, we took pictures in every possible place. Night came and we watched two shows: a magic show and a musical.

The day passed by like a blur. I can't remember the last time I laughed this hard. I didn't expect to connect with someone I hardly knew so easily. I've been on this ship for two days and I've never felt happier.