Chapter 7

LUCA

I drove home in my car and waited for Alexa to come back. Mom was out at some party, so I had the house to myself. I didn't do anything crazy, I just ate half a container of ice cream and watched movies on my computer for four hours. Now, I'm in the middle of The X-Files. It's my favorite series ever. Somebody knocks on the door quietly, almost as if afraid to wake somebody. I pause the movie.

"Mom's not home!" I shout, knowing it was Alexa. I walk up to the door and unlock the several bolts mom put in place to make sure nobody sneaks in -or out. Alexa opens the door and smiles at me, behind her is Laurel. She's wearing a loose white shirt and baggy army pants. A gray sweater is tied around her waist. Her hair is longer than it looked in the photos and it's not in a half-bun like it normally is. She smiles at me, and waves sheepishly.

"I'm her friend from school! We're going to study upstairs. So..." She trails off. Alexa grins at me.

"It's okay. She's cool." I'm cool. Huh. Funny what you have to do to be "cool" to your incredibly popular sister.

"I like your pants." I blurt. Then I slam a palm against my forehead. Laurel smiles and says thanks, then looks down, then she gasps and looks up at me.

"I know you!" She says. "You're Luca, right? Wow. You guys are related?" She points to me, and points to Alexa, and then opens her mouth wide. I think she's being sarcastic or maybe she's just really dramatic, which is totally possible -I've heard some crazy things about musicians.

"Twins," I say. Laurel smiles.

"So cool." She wanders into the house and looks around. It's hard to miss the Green Day and Blink-182 logos on her green canvas bag. I lean over towards Alexa.

"I love her," I whisper. Alexa scowls jokingly, and I throw my hands up.

I roll my eyes and elbow her towards Laurel. "Go!" She smiles at me and walks towards her. Laurel opens her computer and pulls up Netflix.

"Wanna watch a movie?" She asks. Alexa bends down, smiles and kisses her lips so fast that I wouldn't have noticed if I blinked.

"Sure, but it can't be Black Mirror. That stuff creeps me out." She says. Wow. She's never admitted that to anyone, not even me! I found out when I was watching the series and she caught the creepiness of it from across the room. She really likes Laurel. Laurel laughs and googles fun movies for scaredy-cats on Netflix.

"Hey!" Alexa shouts. "I am not scared." Laurel gives her a sideways grin.

"You literally just admitted that you were!" I can't help but smile. She's the definition of awesome.

"You guys go upstairs and, okay?" I say, "Stay out of my side of the room. I have to finish my homework!" Even though I have no intention of doing my homework, I pretend to sift through my bag. Alexa and Laurel run upstairs, Laurel dragging her by the arm like a child at a carnival. I exhale, long and deep. Today was absolutely crazy. It doesn't matter though. I turn on my movie and try to relax. This is unreal. I think I might've been talking about the movie, but I'm not sure. I slam my laptop shut. Forget it! I'm going out tonight. I open my laptop again and pull up Instagram. Casey, Alexa's best friend is throwing a party since her parents are out on a business trip. Casual attire. Perfect. I walk up the stairs, looking at the paintings in the hallway. I knock on Alexa's door. She says that I can come in. They're looking at magazines on her bed. I look through my drawers and find an outfit that isn't garbage. I end up with a pair of shiny leggings from Alexa's closet and a silvery black T-shirt that circles around my hips. There's a slit in the back, and it makes me sort of uncomfortable, but the pants make up for it with the rips in the knees. Laurel and Alexa stare at me, Alexa looks shocked, while Laurel doesn't really know what's going on.