Epilogue

Epilogue

- the after

The story isn't over yet

Lemon and Fox decided to have mercy on the king, and one of the king's medicine keepers spoke with the Star People, asking to open the borders so they could banish the king somewhere worse. It was the first time in a while the Star People had responded to a medicine keeper's call, but they surprisingly accepted.

The Watchers carried the king to a deserted mai, and as soon as they threw him through the border, an invisible force field popped up between them, the Star People's fury following him forever. The not-king struggled all he could, and begged them to not do it, but after almost a thousand years of being a bad king everyone had had enough.

Everyone expected Lemon and Fox to take the throne, as the king had no heirs, but since they weren't quite fourteen, they refused. Luckily, it turns out that Darlian's old royalty had been hiding outside of the border for ages, waiting for it to open again to reclaim the throne. They entered Darlian as soon as the spell broke, and were immediately found by the returning party of Watchers. They were taken to the lair, and the old royal's great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandchild was blessed with being the new royal.

The Watchers soon revealed Two in the lair's basement, constantly snuggled and fed by The Watcher's growing affection. Fox was overjoyed, and for the first time Lemon was happy to see the little scruff ball. Apparently, Two had been taken right out of Fox's arms when they were sleeping— and the pair didn't even notice!

The group of trelians that were plotting a massacre of waterlenes were eventually caught, then Bird as well. It was revealed that tee was the only telian that the king did not kill when caught, doing the king's bidding for rewards. Bird was so fueled by anger from Lemon's grandparent not noticing tee's mother drowning, a deed that the grandparent never mentioned out of shame, that tee would turn on tems own kind. They were also banished, but not to a quite as harsh mai.

Almost everyone rejoiced at the fact that the king was gone, and Lemon's parents and Fox's single father, named Okra Luminous, came when they heard where their children had gone.

Lemon and Fox were confused, wondering what they would do now that everything was over. They certainly couldn't go back to their past lives, never seeing each other again and wishing something was different.

And so they went off, this time with a few Watchers under their parent's determined hand to keep them safe, traveling together once more.

Happy.