.twelve.°°

"Don't be pushed around by the fears in your mind. Be led by the dreams in your heart."
Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

December 26th, 2199

LUCAS

I saw her fall when I glanced over my shoulder in panic from the sound of gunfire. Lavender screamed and I shoved her towards Ridge who caught her in a bewildered movement as he turned his head to look at me. Talia ran as fast as she could from the trees and Chris was on her heels, wrapping his arms around her waist as Willow pushed herself up into a sitting position, her hand pressing into her stomach.

Chris, Talia and I were at least twenty feet from her when I saw her nod towards Chris who pressed his lips together and yanked Talia back into the forest, not fazed by her manic thrashing or the striking of her fists. I could only stare at Willow as she grimaced, her body swaying with the flames as her eyes found mine and she smiled. Not fully, but one that pulled at the corner of her lips and told me what her vocal chords couldn't.

She didn't want me to return.

I grit my teeth and clenched my hands into fists as I took a step back, watching her body falter and send her to the porch. My breath hitched and I turned from her just as distant laughter bubbled from the house; Gardensha thugs who had no doubt discovered Aeraf's body.

Making my way into the trees, I helped Alice hoist Jai to his feet, his head dangling limply as his body sagged against me. I swallowed, knowing the others couldn't help, and pushed my own pain to the back of my mind as I wrapped my arm around his waist and tugged his arm over my shoulders, grasping his wrist tightly in my fingers.

"I'm not leaving her, put me down!" Talia snapped in Chris's arms and I watched him grimace as he tightened his grip around her. Ridge was holding Lavender, the pure confusion on his face mixing with the already present bewilderment but he tightened his grip on her as Alice looked to her home, the fire visible through the trees.

"We need to go." Chris said, ignoring Talia's resistance and I nodded, swallowing my own emotions and pushing thoughts of Willow to the back of my mind. We didn't know the extent of Jai's injuries, we needed to get those of us who were still here out. Alice cleared her throat, scrubbing at her eyes before moving to Jai's other side, her arm moving to rest on top of mine before hoisting Jai's other arm over her shoulder to help me move him. Making our way farther into trees, both Talia and Lavender eventually lapsed into silence and I was beginning to feel fatigued as the sound of the sirens, the cackles of the Gardensha and the crackle of the fire faded to nothing. The sun was raising high in the sky and I swallowed, readjusting my grip on Jai's wrist.

The sound of an engine revving made all of us stop in our tracks before Chris cursed under his breath and pointed to a particularly dense part of the forest. "There." He whispered. "Go." Rushing forward, we all dove behind the trees and I held tightly to Jai as I peered slightly around one.

A black SUV shuttered to a stop and one of the front doors opened, a large, bear sized man climbing out. Upon raising his head, I gasped and shifted Jai onto his mom, Alice making a soft sound of surprise as I stepped out from the trees.

Yarrow stood near the SUV, focus evident on his tired looking features. He'd grown thinner, more rugged looking with a growing, curly beard decorating his jaw. Upon spotting me, he rushed forward and pulled me into a crushing hug, catching me by surprise before I hugged him back.