14 - Nowhere To Go

The dinner went tolerably well - well, it was actually hard to tear my eyes away from him and focus on the food. Nate's gaze lingered where it shouldn't have, making me feel self-conscious. I had agonized over my outfit choice, eventually settling on a long-sleeved knitted dress that felt too casual for this kind of event.

My door received a gentle knock, announcing that it was time for dinner. I wasn't sure about the exact timing, but I was already halfway through getting ready. Following a petite maid, I expected to be led to the kitchen, but she guided me to the other side of the house. Upon entering the room, my eyes fell upon a grand rectangular dining table adorned with a crimson tablecloth, featuring only two plates set across from each other.

I offered my gratitude as I eased myself into a plush leather chair. A guard stepped forward and pulled the chair out for me, silently inviting me to take my seat. The room basked in the soft, golden glow of gentle lighting, casting an air of subdued elegance. Nate had yet to arrive, so I found myself alone at the table, surrounded by maids who brought forth additional dishes and bottles of wine.

Approaching me, one of the guards extended a polite apology on behalf of the Alpha, explaining that he would be running a bit late. I nodded graciously, thanking him for the update. Several maids inquired if I desired anything while I waited, their offers met with my polite refusals. With that, everyone in the room made their exit, leaving me in solitude amidst the hushed atmosphere. The seconds stretched into minutes, and I remained seated, enveloped in a profound silence, uncertain of how long I would wait.

The door creaked open behind me, and I turned, my heart pounding in anticipation. Nate entered the room, his presence commanding attention. He paused for a lingering moment before going to the table's far end. As he passed by me, his hungry gaze swept over me, sending a rush of butterflies fluttering in my stomach.

"Thank you for waiting. Had some stuff to finish," he said in his deep, melodic voice, casually draping his jacket over the back of a chair.

He undid the top buttons of his shirt, rolling up his sleeves. My eyes couldn't help but linger on the feast of a man stadning across from me, igniting a possessive longing that I struggled to suppress. I tore my gaze away, focusing on something else in the room to distract my racing thoughts.

"Stop looking at me like that," his voice brought me back to reality, making me realize I had been gawking at him the whole time.

"Like what?" I asked, genuinely confused.

"Like you want me to clear this table and make you my meal instead," he replied, his eyes locking onto mine with an intensity that made me shift uncomfortably in my seat.

The chair made a dull sound as Nate settled into it, lifting the lid from his plate to reveal his meal for the day, primarily meat. When I opened my own lid, I found a similar spread, but with a bit more balance, including some vegetables. It seemed Nate had taken note of my usual dietary preferences.

I glanced back at him and was taken aback to find his intense gaze fixed on me. A nervous lump formed in my throat, but I grabbed the fork to my left and plunged it into the food. Hunger had built up during the anticipation of his arrival. The first bite melted on my tongue, nearly causing a soft moan to escape my lips. The food was undeniably delicious. But as I took another bite, I caught Nate's predatory eyes locked onto mine.

"Like it?" he asked from across the table, hunger lacing his words.

"It's really delicious," I replied quickly, tearing my gaze away from his lascivious eyes. I hurriedly shoved another piece into my mouth, desperately trying to keep my emotions in check as the tension between us simmered.