04 | Zander and the tiring trek.

"Fuck!"

"Fuck!"

I woke up gasping for air, my vision took a couple of seconds to adjust to the surrounding. I looked around the small tent and gathered it was still night due to the darkness filled with silence. Drops of sweat ran down my naked body as I slowly sat straight up, the small tent suffocating the fuck out of me.

It's happening again...

I wiped the wetness from my cheeks with the back of my hand and I turned to look over Mellisa, sleeping peacefully next to me. Her hair was damp and messily spread around her face. She was clenching the thin duvet tightly to her chest, as it was the only thing covering her petite body.

She looked so beautiful and peaceful as she slept cozily with literally no worries of the world around her.

I searched for my boxers in the pile of clothes we dumped. I quickly wore my boxers, followed by my black jeans. I least cared about wearing a shirt as I opened the zip gate of the tent.

A cool wave of air hit me, I let my lungs slowly absorb them as I took in a deep breath. The air around this area hits different from what we breathe in the city, it's cleaner and way fresher. I let out a sigh and shook my head about why I'm thinking about the damn air in the middle of the night.

I put a foot out and stepped out of the tent. I dabbed my pocket to find my phone and took it out, there were a couple of unseen messages from mom, as usual asking about my whereabouts. I typed a usual "I'm fine, don't worry." text and closed my phone after a few seconds.

I mentally cursed when I realized it's past midnight; definitely not the time to respond and now she'll blow up my phone with calls and texts first thing in the morning enquiring about why I was up.

I put my phone and took out a cigarette from my back pocket and lit it. I closed my eyes and took a puff, letting the toxins into my system. The chilly wind and cigarettes made me calm in a way I can't describe.

I opened my eyes as I looked at the trials of smoke leaving my mouth, it slowly faded into the air and I saw someone sitting on the log around the burned-out bonfire. I couldn't make out who it was because of the darkness around me.

I took slow steps towards the silhouette, the little wet grass touched my feet and I realized I wasn't wearing any shoes either.

As I approached a bit closer and I could make out it was a blonde girl sitting on the log, facing the other direction with a phone in her hand.

It was Brianna...

I immediately stopped in my tracks, my heartbeat increased rapidly, my palms were sweaty. I remembered my appearance and now regretted coming here. The moment I decided to turn back and just run away, she spotted me.

"Zander?" she called, her voice was sweet like usual, right now it had a tone of confusion in it.

I sighed and turned back around "Banana." I smirked, putting on my jerk face as I hopped and sat next to her on the log. She was talking to some women, I assume her mother on Facetime.