Chapter Six: The Mate

It feels weird to be a wolf if I'm honest. Everything is much brighter, clearer, the smells are easier to smell, and I can hear a conversation from 6 miles away as if they were in front of me. It's kind of awesome.

Anyway now I'm at school walking with Derek towards math class which we have together. But things are weird between us now because my father told me that werewolves have mates. It's like your other half, your soul-mate the person that will love you forever no matter what and who tries to intervene. My parents are mates, Jason' and his girlfriend Anne are mates but Erik doesn't have one yet.

And to be honest I don't know what I'd do if I find mine like yeah I will love him but what about Derek. I can't just go to him and say 'Hey we need to break up because my soul mate found me. Because I'm a wolf and now we are going to get married and have pups?' Yeah didn't think so.

"Penny for your thoughts?"

Asks Derek as he puts his arms around me.

"It's nothing, I'm just thinking about that test we have now."

I lie. God I hate lying to him.

"You sure? You look stressed,"

I smile and nod.

"Yeah just worried if it's going to be hard like last times."

"Well don't worry, love, you'll do brilliantly!"

He said before placing a peck on my forehead and walks in the classroom *sighs* if only you knew. I look down ashamed for keeping such a huge thing from him.

*after school*

Wait what is that smell its like the forest with chocolate and summer!

'MATE!!!!'

WHAT?! Already?

'yes go to mate!'

Ok ok, I'm going!

As I keep walking the smell is stronger till I reach a hill where I saw a guy sitting on the edge. He must be my mate.

*snap!* Really?! Are you kidding me I just had to step on a frigging stick, Way to be cliche Kat. I see him turn around OMG!

You won't believe who he is!! Just as he begins to walk toward me I run the other way using my wolf speed I hear him calling my name.

"Kat! Please, Kat, we need to talk about this! You can't keep running from your problems!"

Oh no he didn't, at that, I stop and turn around.

"You have no fucking right to talk to me like that ok! Just leave me the fuck alone I mean how can you be my mate?! There has to be a mistake"

"Really? Don't act like you were never attracted to me I knew you liked me hell, half the school did!"

"Then why, why date that whore?!"

I scream at him on the verge of tears

"Because I used her to get over you I didn't want to drag you into this world I thought you were HUMAN!"

"Yeah well, so did I, buddy."

I whisper giving up as a tear slips. He hugs me.

"Hey, Kat look I'm sorry ok I wanted to protect you and all I did was hurt you. But trust me every time I saw you with Derek I felt like someone was stabbing me constantly. And that's why I got back together with her but I never stopped caring about you even when we fought, ok. I think we should at least give us a chance, What do you think?"

"I'd like that, Jake, but what about Derek?"

"We will talk to him together, he'll understand he is one of us after all."