T is for Trauma! : 2

:::::

EXTERNAL LOCKDOWN? Maeve and her classmates were frozen in confusion. Her teacher even paused for a moment, before ushering the students to quiet down, pulling down all the blinds to cover the windows.

'This w-wasn't planned for the monthly drill schedule... " The girl next to her stuttered, pulling out her inhaler before crossing her hands in a prayer. Maeve made a face at her, dramatic.

Someone's notification went off, a loud blaring noise filling the room.

"Mister Step please turn your phone off! We are in lockdown!" The teacher stressed. When suddenly, multiple alarms went off at once, all at different times all over the classroom. Without fail, every student pulled out their phones, ignoring the appalled shrieks of their psychology teacher. "We have a no-phone policy in our classrooms! I will have to refer everyone with their phone out to the office!"

The girl next to Maeve continued to hyperventilate as she checked her phone.

"A National Emergency?" A boy said aloud. "What is going on?"

The girl couldn't breathe. Chatter and panic-filled voices filled the air with questions.

"I told you this was going to happen."

"I didn't feed my dog this morning! What if he starves and it's all my fault!"

"Hell yeah! Does this mean the psych test is cancelled?"

Maeve opened her Twitter, of course the most reliable source of the news. "The President says everything is under control! We just need to calm down... " Student Class President Raven said to the class, trying to ease the tension.

A scream was heard down the hall.

"This does not sound like 'under control' to me!"

Maeve looked down as a text popped up at the top of her phone. It was from Aurora.

We need to get the hell out of here.

:::::

"Shit!" Aurora exclaimed as the alarm blared through her phone, the only sound filling the empty bathroom. She quickly turned it off, raising her eyebrow at the announcement. As one does, she checks Twitter, the most reliable news source around. She checked the top trending tags, all with the same keyword. Zombie. She was starting to believe it wasn't just a tag stan twitter was trending... Aurora opened the tag, her hand shaking slightly as she covered her mouth with shock at what she saw. Photos. Videos. News headlines. All proclaiming the end of the world.

Her heart began racing, suddenly feeling very nervous about being alone in the bathroom. Damn it, maybe she should have listened to the lockdown announcement from before.

Aurora heard slow footsteps enter the bathroom. Dragging one foot after another as if it were a struggle to keep balance. She smelled something absolutely disgusting reek through the bathroom, something, something rotting. She slowly peeked from under the stall door. Whoever it was, was wearing blue Converse. But something, something wasn't right...besides the blue Converse. They were spotted with blood, a trail following every footstep.

Aurora yelped, climbing farther up the toilet to keep her feet up. There's no way... Zombies.. Zombies weren't real. It was just another student, there was no way.

The stall door shook as something banged against it. "T-taken... there's someone in here.." Aurora answered. The banging only got louder, a groan filling the room. Before she knew it, Aurora screamed.