Chapter4

"What's our plan?" I asked.

"We need to figure out the riddle first," she said. We stared at the map in her hands. The riddle appeared on the paper.

"What does it say?" I asked.

"This is something with a bark

But it doesn't have a bite

With a lot of sun and rain

It can grow to a great height." She said. I stared at the paper, trying to decipher the riddle. I saw a figure creeping up behind Phoenix.

"Watch out!" I shouted. I pulled out my sword and slashed at the girl. Phoenix ducked.

"You're out!" A voice called. A young girl appeared out of nowhere. She was about sixteen years old. She had leaves in her hair and leafy green eyes. Her hair was the color of tree bark.

"What are you?" I asked her.

"Well that's a little rude!" She said to me.

"Oh sorry, I didn't mean to offend you," I said.

"It's fine, I'm Oak and I'm a fysi," Oak explained. She brushed a bit of hair out of her face.

"What's that?"

"A nature spirit, you should get back to the game. Bye." She waved and disappeared back into the woods.

"Let's figure this out," Phoenix said. Then it hit me.

"A tree!" I shouted. Phoenix's eyes lit up.

"You're a genius! There's a giant tree in the center of camp. Let's go!" The two of us ran through camp, using our swords to fend off campers trying to eliminate us.

"Almost there!" I shouted to her. I could see the arrow hanging from a tree. I ran faster than I ever have and lept onto a rock. Phoenix jumped up to grab the arrow, but another arrow was coming for her. "Phoenix!" I shouted. She couldn't move out of the way in time. It hit her in the back.

"You're out!" A fysi shouted from somewhere. Phoenix tumbled to the ground.

"Dang it!" She shouted and cursed under her breath. "You got this, Ellie!" I reached for the arrow, but another arrow flew at me. I bent backwards, avoiding the arrow.

"Too slow!" I shouted in the direction of the arrow. A seventeen year old boy stepped out of the shadows, holding a sword. He charged at me, but I deflected his slice. He jabbed at my feet. I jumped over his sword and sliced his shoulder with my blade.

"Out!" Another nature spirit shouted. The boy cursed under his breath.

"Ellie!" Phoenix shouted. "You beat Andrew Hunter! Just beat Alina and we can win."

"Well," Alina said, stepping out of the forest, holding the arrow. "Too late."

"You still need to get the arrow back to Mr.Ton," I said. She snarled. "And I want that arrow." I took out my sword. Everyone seemed to stop fighting and stared at us.

"Go Ellie!" Stella shouted from somewhere in the crowd. Alina took her sword out of her sheath.

"Ready?" she snarled.

"I was born ready." We stalked each other, circling in the grass. I ran toward Alina, but she moved out of the way with ease. I stumbled in the dirt. She yawned, which made me angry. She jabbed at me, but I leaned backwards.

"You're better than I thought, but not good enough to beat me." Alina jabbed at me again, nearly hitting me. I stumbled through the dirt again. She spun around with her sword. I took advantage of this and ducked, spinning my blade in a similar motion. I hit her ankles. The crowd seemed to quiet down, even the spirits were quiet.