Prologue

The pelt of an orange tabby tom appeared against the dark night sky. After looking both ways, he darted across the street into a junkyard. "Which car was he in, again?" He muttered to himself, annoyed. Leaping up onto a nearby car, he peered around for the one he was looking for before he spotted it. "Aha! There it is!" He approached the car he had been looking for. The car was dull and dented, but the trunk was able to be opened with ease, and it kept out the chill of the winter night. The tom knocked on the trunk door with his paw as hard as he could. He stood back as he saw movement within the car. The trunk cracked slightly open, and a pair of vibrant orange eyes appeared from within. "Kenny? What in the name of the spirits are you doing here? Your human usually keeps you in from here on out."

Kenny, the tom, shuffled his paws. "I snuck out. Listen, Jethro, I need to talk to you. It's really important." Jethro squinted his eyes then opened the trunk enough so he could enter. "Come in. It's too cold for you to be outside in this weather." Kenny jumped in, and the trunk closed behind them. The back seats had been folded down in this car, which gave access from the trunk to the front. Jethro, a medium sized wolf, sat down and made eye contact with Kenny. "Now, what has caused you to come all the way here in this weather to come see me?"

"It's spreading, Jethro, and it's spreading fast... My cousin- you know him, right?" Kenny tilted his head. Jethro nodded, "Isn't he that white cat that lives on Silverstride Road?" Kenny sighed. "Yes. He is. He came down with the disease, we think... I talked to him a few days ago, and he was in a cage. He looked out of it, and whenever I tried to talk to him, he would just sputter like he wanted to talk but couldn't. My aunt Angie and I haven't seen him since, and Aunt Angie is losing her mind. He's never been gone for this long, but I don't know where he went." His eyes got dark with sadness. Jethro put a paw on his shoulder in consolation. "Kenny, I'm sorry about this. I know he was like your brother." The cat wiped a paw across his eyes. "Thanks... I'm hoping he just went to the vet to get cured. That's what Angie said."

Jethro wanted to tell him the truth about his cousin, Arlo. He opened his mouth to speak, but the only words to come out of his mouth were, "I'm sure he's doing fine." Kenny smiled slightly at his reassuring words. "Thanks... I'll let you know if Angie and I hear any new news... I guess I should head home before she worries about me, too." Jethro nodded. "Yes, that is a good idea. Angie is under enough stress as it is. Go along and get sleep, Kenny, and I'll talk to you tomorrow afternoon." Jethro and Kenny went into the trunk. Jethro pulled a latch and the trunk cracked open. Kenny jumped out, and it closed behind him. From within the car, Jethro watched the cat leave the junkyard. He sighed and curled up in the back, thinking about what Kenny told him. This was bad news if the disease was spreading to other animals, and quickly. Jethro would have to keep a closer eye on those who passed through Biohazard faction's territory, and on the faction itself. "Arlo, please forgive me for not telling him the truth," he mumbled softly to himself before drifting into an uneasy sleep, thoughts still racing in his mind.