Tears of December

“Everything done out of love, no matter how little it is, is a job well done.  That’s what he told me”, Lorie told Rick when they’re together at the Melancholy Cafe – the place where they usually stay when both of them feel so sad and nobody seems to listen.

It is not easy for Lorie to ‘forgive and forget’ especially that a few days ago; she chose to leave Adam behind. 

“Adam was the best man I ever had but I am no longer sure about what I feel about him.  He’s been the nicest guy ever but I can’t keep myself falling in love with someone who I really don’t care about.  I can’t love him the way he loves me”, Lorie continued as she sobs. 

Rick said to her, “Lorie, I have been keeping my eyes into you.  No matter what happens, I will always be here.  I want you to live your life the way happy people do.  You deserve someone better.  You deserve someone to care.  It’s easy to fall in love when you’re heart is prepared to accept that love happens with a mixture of joy and sadness.”

Rick gently held Lorie’s hands.  He started staring at her and he felt from the beginning that Lorie was really in pain. 

“You’re hurting a lot.  Looking at you doesn’t make me feel alright,” Rick said. 

“Rick...”, says Lorie with tears in her eyes.  Rick tightly embraced her and said, “Loosing someone is never easy, Lorie.  Leaving someone is more difficult.  It is as difficult as letting something from your grasp to slip away.”

“There are times that you have to give up when giving up is the best option.  I can’t blame you for that. Whatever reasons you keep to stay away from him, I will always be willing to listen when you’re ready to tell... Because I care.  I care a lot.”

Lorie has been the girl that every man is wishing for.  She has the best smile in the world.  In fact, she always wears her sweet, big smile.  On the other hand, behind her smiles are wounds she’s been keeping in her chest.  No matter how hard she tries to mask her gloomy days, what she thinks and how she thinks always reflect.

That’s really how it is, happy people are people who are sad.  That’s what they say, but I doubt. 

Life is a matter of choice.  Happiness, like sadness and other emotions, is something that each person chooses to live with and to live by.  People got all the options in life and it’s all up to them to choose to be happy.

“Have you ever tried leaving someone?”, asked Lorie.

Rick replied, “Not yet and I don’t want to.  Leaving is hurtful.  Hurting someone is never part of my plan when I enter into a relationship.”

“But, readiness to commit with someone is relative, right?”, asked Lorie.

“What do you mean?”, Rick asked as he was puzzled.

“Sometimes, people aren’t ready yet even when they feel that they’re ready.  They commit and yet they’re not yet prepared to give their all.  In the end, they really are not ready”, said Lorie. 

“And they tend to leave that ones they thought they love? Well, that happens.  Look at you”, said Rick with a grin in her face.

Lorie started laughing.  It was a relief to be with Rick at her downhearted moment.  Rick just arrived from Cebu City to be with her.  It was such a kind act to be with someone she cares about especially when love seems to ruin her life. 

While drinking a cup of tea, Lorie suddenly opened her bag and handed something to Rick.

“This!”, Lorie said with a smirk.