Chapter 1: The New Normal

I remember that fateful day well enough, when the Trader stopped by on his usual route between the nearest village and my fortress-in-progress. My hands were sifting through the dirt of my wheat farm, planting a new set of crops to prepare for my next adventure. The scent of the dew was heavy in the early morning hours of that day. 

The Trader, a curious type, even for a villager, waited outside the oak fence which protected my wheat and melons. He and his llama had visited enough that I did not mind their presence, so I decided to take a break from work and see what Vilmar had in store this week. 

"Wonderful morning, isn't it?" said Vilmar as he took off his blue hood. 

I gave a half-smile in reply. "I guess so. Say, have you got any pumpkins? I've looked everywhere for them but I can't seem to find any." 

The trader lowered his brow, trying to recall if he had it in stock. I was his best customer in the region, often buying new tools when my old sets broke. Other times, I would sell my crops and wool in order to keep my estate above water. Close ties with the villagers meant better prices, after all. 

"I think I ran out, I'm afraid," Vilmar put on faux remorse. He was a clever businessman, and knew the right tricks to keep people buying. "But I do have something else that might interest you."

With those few words, my entire life would change forever. 

"Alright, let's see what it is."

Vilmar reached into a bag that was tied to his llama's saddle. He shuffled about for a little while, until finally he pulled out a strange, wand-like object with a silver top. It glowed faintly in the trader's hand like a blaze rod that was about to go out. 

"What is it? I haven't seen anything like that before."

"Indeed! This device is the work of Evoker magic, right from their woodland mansions. A friendly witch told me that it can cure loneliness for whoever uses it. It is called a Mob Talker."

I scoffed at the whole idea of what Vilmar was saying. Sure, I stayed on the periphery of town most of the time and was never much of a talker, but I never considered myself 'lonely'. The name of the item was pretty weird as well. Why would I ever want to talk with mobs? Half of them wandered aimlessly in the grass and the other half always tried to kill me. 

"Thanks but no thanks, Vilmar. I don't need a 'Mob Talker' or anything like that."

"Are you sure? I'll put in a discount, ten emeralds to five."

I briefly reconsidered the offer. He was a reliable tradesman, and not once did he give me a bad deal before, unlike other villagers from time to time. Still, the wand was more expensive than I would have liked. I held my chin in thought. 

"Four emeralds and we have a deal."

Vilmar made a disappointed honk sound, but he seemed eager to get the item off his hands quick. "Fine, fine. We have a deal."

We shook hands and before I knew what I had agreed to, the trader was off on his llama, searching for his next customer in the wide, cubic world. I gave the wand another look-over before I got the impression that I had been swindled by an old friend. 

There weren't any instructions on how to use it, either. I brought it inside my home, left it on top of the chest next to my door, and went about my day as usual. There was more planting to be done and the animals had to be fed. The interior of the fortress looked fairly empty, however, with all of my essential objects placed against the wall and nothing in the middle to make it appear more lively. 

When the late evening came, I settled into my lime-green bed and listened to the sudden downpour of rain as it battered my windowpanes. Rolling thunder boomed in the distance, and I could hear it draw closer to my home.