5-The Return of the X

A/N:  Hey guys, I moved to another website! Check out all of the complete chapters, at https://www.dreame.com/novel/1963325-My-Boss-Got-Me-Fallin'-In-Love.html 

Also, I just made a Twitter account, so feel free to say hi! I'm @amazgladier

=== 

[Countdown: 9 days before the event and 15 days before Christmas]

I got onto the elevator, sleepy. I wasn't my usual cheerful-self. This day was, for sure, my last day here in Leighton. Just thinking about that made me feel sad. We were nearly done with everything. All that's left to do is sign papers. Of course, there's also the packing-up-my-things part. I couldn't seem to start doing it.

I waited as the elevator ascended and stopped on the second floor. I yawned as the elevator doors parted and revealed a breath-taking view. Okay, maybe that was an exaggeration.

Ivan McKenzie Travis, Vice President of Leighton Industries.

Wait, scratch that. His name totally ruined my introduction. How the hell did the name McKenzie pop into my mind anyways?

He flashed a smile at me as he stepped into the elevator with me. Once again, my eyes could only look into his for no more than four seconds. The elevator filled with his scent and the aroma of freshly brewed coffee. I noted that he wasn't carrying any briefcase and he came from the second floor. He was also holding two large cups of coffee.

"Hey there," he greeted as he handed me one of the cups. Was he, like, expecting me?

I hesitated for a second before taking it. "Thank you."

I stared at the cup, but I could feel his eyes study me.

"You're weird today, what's up?" he asked, facing me.

"Tired...sleepy." I yawned. "Finished my project last night and slept in a not-so-decent hour."

"Good thing I got you coffee, then."

We've been like this for the past few days, greeting each other, making small talk, having friendly banters. Looking back, Courtney still owed me one for literally handing me to him a few days ago. However, I also needed to thank her because if she didn't push me to go with him, Ivan and I wouldn't have this kind of relationship.

And my relationship, I meant: FRIENDS.

CHAPTER 5

>>>THE RETURN OF THE X<<<

We talked a lot inside the elevator, mainly about work. When it stopped, he gestured, "Ladies first," with a smirk. I chuckled as I got out of the elevator "Being friends doesn't mean you could get cocky with that smirk of yours," I joked.

"You should get used to my smirk, Katee, it'll show up a lot more often." He winked as he followed me.

We walked until I stopped in front of my office, waving at him and thanking him for the coffee as he went on his way. I got in with my key and turned the lights on. I sat behind my desk and double-checked all the things for the event. I was expecting paperwork since my team and I were already done designing the whole room. True enough, Aleksie came in with a bunch of folders and put them on my desk. She was, of course, as bright as ever.

"Good morning, Katee!" she greeted, but then frowned "You look awfully tired today, what happened?"

"Finished my project the whole night," I held up the cup of coffee. "But I'm more alive now, thanks to caffeine."

She laughed. "Well, don't get too used to caffeine, they could make you age more. Also, if you're tired and you drink caffeinated drinks like coffee, you'll only get energized for half an hour then you'll get tired again." She stated as I pulled the folders towards me.