Sweet Sorrow

The dazzling gleam from the sun's rays bathed Ylisse in radiance. People are sighted all over the halidom, performing duties of varied purposes in mind. The markets themselves had a bustling atmosphere—chatters and gossips turned into a homogenous mixture, its incoherence whispering in thin air. It was a remarkable day, despite the usual routine the citizens adhered to that cycled on a daily basis which would make the day seem to be one of tedium. With the benevolent ruling and guidance of Emmeryn, worry had not crossed into her citizens' minds.

For quite a while, war had not threatened Ylisse. Brigands were not heard of from the outskirts, nor has Plegia delivered threats of bloodlust. Even so, the Shepherds did not dive into complacency; rather, they took every day as an opportunity to train in order to prepare for the worst that has yet to come. Chrom and his small band of determined fighters honed their spirit, mind, and most importantly, their bonds with each other.

The Shepherds' training ground was located in an open space near the castle. Although their training sessions could get intense, they also valued the importance of taking a rest. The space also had a pleasant ambiance—the rustling of the leaves made possible by the cool zephyr, a hidden lake of mystical origin, and underneath the wide foliage from the trees was its shadow, which makes it a perfect spot for napping—truly the perfect place for the Shepherds' training sessions.

In one spot, Miriel was prudently examining the winged horse Sumia had recently befriended, ensuring that she might not, at the very least, touch it, for the creature had originally a brash nature. On another spot, Vaike had gone for a quick nap underneath a tree, whilst on the opposite side of the trunk was Kellam, whom no one had seem to notice after hours of training. Frederick and Lissa returned to the castle to gather some snacks and drinks to replenish the group's deteriorated strength and as a gift for their perseverance. Finally, the leader of the Shepherds and his right-hand man—or woman, in this case—also began to take a breather. They both sat down on the grass.

"That was a great training session for today," Chrom said as he initiated the conversation. "Your sword arm has improved as well. And that's really remarkable, especially since you mentioned that tomes were your forte." He let out a slight giggle.

"Well, as the group's sole tactician, I must also be proficient in weaponry and close combat. I believe it would do me no good if I remained at a distant range. At any moment, I might get attacked directly and I'd be helpless if that were to happen."

"That wouldn't be a problem. I'll always be here to protect you. Just give me a holler and I'll come running." The blue-haired lad smiled. Robin was a trusted ally, and her intelligence and expediency in the art of combat proved to be a valuable asset to the group. She was also a talented mage, and as revealed in her training session with Chrom today, she has potential in becoming a talented swordswoman.

"I hope Frederick and Lissa are coming soon. My stomach is rumbling!" The female laughed. Chrom smiled as well. "I wonder if they're bringing sandwiches..."

Come to think of it, Chrom thought, I have a question for her. Lately, the prince had dreams—blissful dreams—which gave him sufficient strength to do things with passion and determination. He did not seem to be bothered by such dreams; in fact, he smiled at the very thought of them, and explaining them to anyone would be embarrassing for him. In turn, because of these dreams Chrom had a question in mind, and he thought of asking Robin's opinion about the matter. After all, she had a wide knowledge about a wide array of topics and subjects.

"Chrom? Is something the matter? You've been silent the entire time."

Robin's voice shook Chrom from his deep thoughts. He turned to look at her and saw a worried face. "I-I'm fine, Robin. Sorry."