Chapter Eleven: Corsages of Thorns (Finale pt. 1)

Prom Night

                                                                                             6:43 pm

Oh, well, imagine

As I'm pacing the pews in a church corridor

Draco sat between his parents - Luke Malfois, preacher extraordinaire, and Sissy Malfois, philanthropist and perennial hostess - trying to forget that their money, the same money that had bought the marble walls of this house and the Texas ebony of this table and the gold plating on these forks, had also purchased the prom. A prom he was dateless to.

"So what time will Pansy be by, son?" Luke said jovially, dipping his mashed potatoes into his barbecue sauce with his spoon. 

"Yes, darling," Sissy cooed, swirling her champagne flute and petting the family Pomeranian. "I do so adore that girl."

"Mom, Dad," Draco breathed. "I have something to tell you. Pansy and I broke up."

"Ah, Drake!" said Luke, wringing his head in his hands. "You're going to be single on prom night? And with the Romeo and Juliet theme?"

"It's not a big deal." Draco looked down at his plate, trying to pretend he was a little kid again, that the green beans on the china were his biggest worries. "Tons of people go single to prom."

"But if you'd told me earlier," Luke wailed, "I could've done something - I'd have bought you the best group of friends - and solo dancing lessons -"

"That's why I DIDN'T tell you, Dad! I'm sick of having my life handed to me on a golden, jewel-embossed platter! Everyone at school that you haven't bought out calls me a two-timing uppercrust simp, and they aren't even wrong! I'm the only one who can fix me, and I don't want to use your money to do it!"

"Drake, I didn't know," said Luke. "If you'd gone to the therapist we bought-"

"Did you not listen to me, Dad? Did you listen to anything I said? I'm tired of sitting in your church pew, I want to be preaching to the choir!" He pulled his chair back and stood up with a start, revealing his whole outfit: a dapper green sports coat, a powder pink tie, a pinstriped shirt, perfectly crisp black pants, brown shoes, and of course lots of hair gel and a silver cross pendant necklace.

"That metaphor doesn't make any sense," whispered Sissy. "Drakey, you have been attending your tutor sessions, right -"

"STOP!" he roared. "Listen, just stop trying to help me! I know you want the best for me but you're acting like I'm a puppet on strings made of money, and even though I did once have a fantasy about being a puppet this is not hot at all, it's stifling!"

"Look, I'm sorry," Luke said, "can we just sit down and talk about this? You know, your good old friends Matthew and Ephesians might have some good words of wisdom here..."

"I have to go to prom," he spat.

"The prom that I bought," Luke snarled. "You should be grateful."

Draco twisted around like a tiger on a golden leash - something his parents had once owned. Not anymore. "I just want something real for once, Dad."

He stormed out the door, grabbing the corsage on the way, ripping the rose from it and throwing it in the trash. He squeezed it, just to feel something, anything.

Storming out the door, he turned the key of his Jaguar and rode off into the evening.

                                                                                            7:10 pm