when I saw him

I threw on a plain white hoodie and put on one of my brothers teammates jerseys he left for me. Apparently, he had a bunch of extras but this was just the first he found.

I examined the pristine carolina blue hockey jersey. It looked massive but i slipped it over my white hoodie and put on some light blue ripped jeans. I had these black boots from Jeffrey Campbell that made me look a bit more grunge. Charlie called them my 'emo girl boots.'

I finished some light makeup and looked at my reflection in the lit up vanity my dad set up for me.

My long blonde hair fell in soft waves showing off the different shades of blonde. My eye makeup and the light colors in the jersey made my eyes look so much bluer than normal. I got most of my moms features which I was ever grateful for even though I knew i'd never amount to how gorgeous she was.

I let my thoughts wander per usual until I heard a knock on my door. I almost ate shit running up and opening it to none other than Reilly Evans.

My mouth dropped when I compared our outfits. She was wearing skintight jeans, a cropped blue shirt and a beanie with some insanely high boots. I almost laughed. Had she ever been to a hockey game? Or should I change? Is this what girls wear in Boston? I doubt it. It's like 10° outside.

"Holy shit you're gorgeous" she gawked at me.

Was there someone behind me secretly? I smiled at her and felt my cheeks heat up. I ducked my head before she could notice.

"You look great too." I replied grabbing my white purse I bought after my first summer job.

Reilly's cat eyes fell right on the bag. Her mouth opened like she was gonna catch a fly.

"Holy shit. Is that the new YSL collection" She screamer running towards me. How can she run in those shoes? I'd probably snap my neck in the process.

"Y-yeah. I bought it."

Her green eyes snapped up to me and she laughed. I cocked my head.

"Finally I'm gonna make a friend who enjoys style and fashion." She laughed before hooking her arm in mine. I was a bit confused on how girls did things here but I guess that was the start of our friendship?

We took an uber to the rink and walked all the way down the steps. I smiled at the coldness that I felt through the holes in my jeans. It's been so damn long since I watched Charlie play hockey.

We had seats against the glass which were my favorite. I got to see everything up close. I settled in watching Charlie go through warm ups.

Reilly told my just about everything about her in the five minute uber from where she parties, who she's fucked, whats she majoring in, to how much she wants to date my brother. Much to my dismay. I liked Reilly but, I don't think my brother needs another girl like her.

I focused my attention to the ice as I watched the boys skate gracefully past me. I even made uncomfortable eye contact with Travis. Go me!

The second the buzzer started the game the whole arena was electric. There were fans in every seat and I was up on my feet with Reilly smacking the glass anytime Charlie did something impressive.

But as much as I wanted to say he stole the show, someone else was. He was lightning fast. He skated like he owned the place. I didn't miss his hat trick or the penalties he got called on him. The crowd went wild when he touched the ice.

Just turn around dammit I wanna see your number and maybe it matches my jersey i'm wearing. Number 1 and something Ster? Sternberg, Sterning?

"Hey Reilly what does my jersey say?" I asked lifting my hair and hoodie but before she could answer my eyes drew back on him.

The number one jersey flashed by me. The Carolina blue and white seemed to all mix together as the boys skated like their lives depended on it. Hey i'm wearing his jersey.

And there he was again, zooming down the ice like a flash. The clock ticked and he slapped the shot in like it was easy. The buzzer rang and Boston won our first game of the preseason.

Cheers flooded the entire arena. Then it all went in slow motion.

I looked up at the player skating past me. I swear time froze for a second. Yes, I know that's cheesy but bear with me.

I'll never forget the second I looked into those piercing green eyes. I swear they were glowing. His perfect white teeth flicked in an adorable, sex-god, crooked smile. He looked down at my jersey -well his jersey- and his dimples poked out against his flawless tan face. And then he broke out eye contact to celebrate with his teammates, turning away from me, and the name sprawled across his back was a mental note in my mind.

Sterling.