The Fire Wolf Redraw (again)

Hello people who for some reason choose to read this! I am back from the dead, hopefully won't die again, and I have brought with me a very old drawing completely re-imagined. Due to the Covid-19 outbreak I have spent the last two weeks sitting in bed incredibly bored. So... I've decided to redraw old pictures and figured starting with things from this book seeing as I have like... three or four year old art in it. Of course I had to start with The Fire Wolf though, because it's got so much potential! 

For a refresher, here's the original image made sometime around December 26, 2016. 

It's uh

It's uh... something? At the time of drawing it I was really proud but now... it certainly exists. Moving on, here's the new image, I hope you enjoy it!

Looks pretty different, right? There were a lot of changes I wanted to make, but I also wanted to keep the general look of the original picture, that being the two figures looking at each other from opposite sides of the canvas

But onto what I decided to change. The first and most obvious thing is I wanted to connect the two figures in the same image. I also really wanted to draw more of the wolf, not even going to deny that. I also had to update the design of the wolf as the character's owner changed it from a reddish orange to dark ginger. Beyond that I was given free reign over the design so I decided to make it interesting and I'm really proud of it! It's not the most realistic design, but it has its charm and like it either way. 

For this drawing I'm very happy with the lighting and background. It looks perfectly fine on a white background but the fire just brings it all together. Anyways, I've rambled for long enough, I hope you enjoyed and please, tell me what you think! I'm always looking for advice on how to improve my art so feel free to share your opinion.