Prologue

The hands of magic had created the world of Aindar over two thousand years ago and despite all expectations, it was still a world in its infancy. Continents formed from the hopes of an idealistic goddess were still struggling with their own identity and were plagued with strife and uncertainty as their human inhabitants grew increasingly unwilling to accept the undeniable truth that magic existed not only around them but within them. 

There had been brief moments in Aindar's history when magic had thrived and prospered, but such accomplishments were inevitably undermined by the darkness of war. Magic came to be associated with evil as one dark force after another threatened the peace of Aindar, and no one cared to remember that it had been the forces of good magic that kept the world from plummeting into proverbial midnight.

For the moment, magic existed in an uneasy truce with those who feared it, but such an accord had been weak in its creation 30 years ago and its foundation was swiftly crumbling. The magical creatures of Aindar had separated themselves from the restrictions of their human counterparts and lived isolated on their own lands, free of the suspicious eyes of magic haters, all the while knowing their peace would not last forever. Someday the hatred of magic would spread beyond human borders and grow like a plague destroying everything the goddess had sacrificed herself for, and that someday was looming closer.

Magic flowed at the very heart of the world of Aindar and it was growing weary and impatient with human suppression. Soon it would break free and reveal its true strength to the un-accepting masses who lived with the hope that if they just ignored it, magic would go away like some unwelcome guest. Magic was not the guest on Aindar, it was the host, and the humans of the world were about to be invited to a most unwelcome and overdue affair.