Roses

I closed my eyes for a moment and with the sudden chiming sound from my phone I opened my eyes

I closed my eyes for a moment and with the sudden chiming sound from my phone I opened my eyes. I carefully rubbed my eyes without smudging the mascara. I checked the time and realized it's 10:20 AM. I opened the message that disturbed my precious sleep.

It was from my mom, Erica O'niell Karol. A perfect mother and an excellent designer , manager of the Niell company but as a friend I lost her at my early teens. after my father's sudden death. The only friend/ partner in crime at home is my dear grandpa, George O'niell. He is sweet as honey and sharp as the eyesight of a hawk.

" We're here miss"

I heard the raucous voice of the grey haired man which made me come out of all my thoughts. I looked outside the glass window and made a hand print on the glass unknowingly. With a blink of an eye  I saw a huge white gate with little angels on top of the gate welcoming me. I unbuckled the seat belt and quickly collected the red roses bouquet from the back seat.
I slowly opened the car door holding my phone and purse on one hand and the bouquet on another. As soon as I got out of the car I felt like my legs are made out of jelly. I tried to balance myself on the wedge heels I'm wearing. I turned around to close the door and  bent down to reach the height of the car window. The glass rolled down.

" Thank you, sir" I thanked the grey haired man in the drivers seat and he nodded his head with a smile. I tried to smile back and transferred the money to him.

The taxi left. I'm alone. I led a huge sigh when I looked down at my faded blue jeans and mustard yellow floral top . I walked towards the gate. As I walked in my heart pounded a mile for a minute. There are mixed emotions of nervousness and happiness. It's not the first time I'm coming to this place. It felt something fresh and weird at a same time. I carried the emotions inside me without an expression on my face.

As I walked on the path, I noticed that most of the graves are covered with dry leaves and nut shells.

"Emma!" I heard a rough shaky voice and recognized the voice of my partner in crime who is weaving his hand as if I don't know the direction.
I noticed that mom wore the bracelet which my father gifted her on their wedding anniversary which perfectly went with the cream color shirt and black jeans. Mom stopped wearing that bracelet after  father's death.

I ran towards the direction where my grandpa stood and placed the bouquet on the tomb.

"Why can't you reply to my messages when you saw them?"
My mom showed her concern in a serious tone.

"I'm sorry mom, I was sleeping and my pho...."

" It's okay dear, no need of explanation."  My saviour , grandpa cut me off in the middle and said.
My mom looked at me and asked

"Emma, do you want to pray?" in a tone of exhaustion.

" Yes" I responded.

I  mumbled the words that I want to say God and said a loud amen. So, that everyone can know that my prayer is over.

My mom holded the tan shiny wrinkled hand of my grandpa and walked towards the exit.

" We'll wait in the car, come fast ." Mom said calmly . I nodded and waited for them to leave the exit.

" Edward Richard Karol, 1980-2018." I read my father's name and led a huge sigh.

" I miss you dad, life's been hard for me since you were gone and mom's been busy with work. She comes home late from the office and I'm not even sure whether she's eating or not."

I kneeled down and laid my head on the tomb.

"Why? Why did you leave me all alone? I miss you. It all felt like yesterday and I can't believe you're gone. I miss you , I really do" I said in a low voice.

I got up and wiped the tears that rolled down from my left eye. While I'm leaving I noticed a single rose bud that is kept separately on the tomb. I gave a small smile.

As I walked down the exit , I opened my phone camera to check whether my mascara is smudged or not. Luckily, It is not smudged.

I opened the car door and sat in the passengers seat. Mom started the car and my grandpa already slept in the back seat. The car ride was silent until he started snoring. Mom laughed silently due to the silly sounds made by his snore and I joined her and looked at the bags she's been carrying under her chocolate  brown eyes.

I kissed her on the cheek and she looked at me while driving. She raised her left hand in the air and pulled me near her  dry light pink lips and kissed me on my forehead .

"Love you sweetie." She said in a low calm voice.

" I know" I said and smiled.

" Hey, since we're here do you wanna go to Ria's house?" She asked while driving.

" Is that okay? I mean we have flight to catch tomorrow morning at 8:20 A.M." I asked her sincerely.

"Yes, we do but if you wanna go I'll drop you at her house ."

"Can I stay at her house tonight?" I questioned her again.

"Yes, of course but make sure to check in at the airport before 7:30 A.M." She answered.

"Sure and thanks mom." I told her. She nodded her head with a smile in response.