[01]

"Come on, let's play in the fields!" Gregory laughed out, pulling the 6-year-old girl from the yard.

     The girl's small feet stumbled over small blades of grass and dirt patches. Her eyes were glued on the ground to make sure she didn't step on any of the caterpillars that they always found. The wiggly little fluffy worms were hard to see in the yard. Especially the dark ones. 

     A beautiful woman with long, curled dark brown hair and the most mesmerizing brown eyes grinned towards them from her spot where she hung laundry. She loved to see her two children getting along having not a care in the world. Even when they didn't have many toys as the family was poor. 

     It seemed to be a good thing, though. Their lack of toys caused them to take an interest in things around them. They were creative enough to use even the smallest thing as a play tool. From sticks to even leaves. Not only did they not care for what they used, but they valued adventure as well. 

     "Be careful! Watch out for ticks and snakes! They give little nasty bites!" She called out to them. 

     "Don't worry, mama! I'll keep Laverne safe!" The ginger-haired boy yelled back. 

     He skipped with his little sister's hand in his. His hold was tight to keep her from just slipping her hand out of his effortlessly, but loose enough to not hurt her.

     The two sang and told each other nursery rhymes as they merrily wondered. But all the while, they took the time to look at the forest they ran through. The trees were thick and full of colour since it was springtime. Lots of the towering trees held pretty budding flowers that birds and other insect flew around.

.    "Wife, bring me my old bent bow, fol de riddle, lol de riddle, hi ding do, That I may shoot yon carrion crow; Sing heigh-ho, the carrion crow, Fol de riddle, lol de riddle, hi ding do!" The two sang out together. 

     They stopped at the edge of the grassy field. It was a sight to see. The grass was to Laverne's head and just to her brother's chest. But that never stopped them from playing in it. She could see the ground better than her brother because of it so she was at an advantage so spying snakes. 

     Laverne turned to her brother and tapped his arm. "Come catch me!" She exclaimed with a giggle before running into the field. He could still see where she was going by the movement of the grass blades. 

     They ran after each other, tagging at one another. It was all such fun to waste the day while playing. To not have a care in the world like the adults. To be able to breathe the fresh air that will become nostalgic when growing old. To feel the sunshine down upon you most of the day, not having to be cooped up inside of somewhere or not having it become a burden whilst working.

     While Gregory looked around to find her, giving little clicks of the tongue as if to call for a cat, she hid on the ground with the tall blades of grass covering her from his sight. Her breath was audible after having run and laughed. 

     "Laverne~ I'll find you~" Gregory called out. 

     His voice was close. It seemed he was only a few feet away from her spot. She kept in a giggle and began crawling only for her to be kept back. She turned to see her ankle twisted in the thick grass. Her hand automatically went to the blades, fumbling around them. 

     "Gregory! Gregory!" She called out as she tried to untie the blades, only causing them to tighten. 

     He came running to her. His face contorted in worry once he saw his dear little sister in a panicked mood, confined to the ground by plant life. He yanked at the blades to try to get them to uproot then tried his own at untying them.