"varsity, huh"

"I don't think I can live through another one of Mrs. Kennedy's algebra lectures." Guy groaned as he sat in between Connie and me at our lunch table.

"Me either." I agreed. "What's a logarithm anyway?"

"I'm going to starve pretty soon." Kenny huffed and sat down across from me. "The only thing they left me with is a bag of carrots."

I gave him a sympathetic look and slid him my bag of chips. "Varsity sucks."

Suddenly Goldberg pushed me over and sat next to Julie, a tray of desserts with him.

"Excuse me?" 

He ignored me and smiled at Julie. "Just wanted to congratulate you on being number one. I didn't have time to bake you a cake so I bought you a yummy array of goodies."

She nodded. "Thanks Goldberg."

"No problem. Hey, you know, you're gonna need a lot of energy to play on this level. Carbo loading you know?" he then picked up a powdered roll and handed it to Julie. "Give it a shot."

She took a bite and smiled. "Mmm, it's good."

Averman snickered from across the table and I wondered what was going on. It was very unlike Goldberg to purposely share food with anyone. He even offered to be her nutritional adviser and I laughed at that one.

I reached my hand across to grab a donut hole and Goldberg smacked my hand away. "Sorry Ella, goalies only."

"Uh huh." I looked at him and narrowed my eyes, trying to figure out what he was doing.

I jumped at the sound of lunch trays hitting the floor. I looked up to see Charlie, Fulton and Russ being chased by the entire Varsity hockey team. We all looked at each other before jumping up and following them out the door. 

I stopped and grabbed a donut hole before catching up. Yum.

_

"Ella!" 

I looked up from the ice to see Coach Orion motioning me to come to him.

I skated over and stopped in front of him. "What's up?"

"You're being moved to Varsity." He didn't look me in the eye, but instead watched whatever play as going on behind me.

"I'm what?"

"Goldberg for crying out loud, stop a puck!" He hollered before looking at me. "They had a spot open and I mentioned you. I guess a center player is just what Varsity needs."

"Oh thanks Coach Orion but I don't know if I can-"

"Of course you can! You're here to play hockey aren't you?"

I couldn't exactly argue with that one.

"You can sit for this practice and tomorrow you'll join Varsity. Sound good?"

I nodded and skated away from him. I swung my legs over the wall and took a seat on the bench. Charlie and Orion were already having an argument by the time I took my skates off. He motioned for Charlie and put him in the penalty box. Ouch.

I sighed and scooted to the end of the bench, closest to Charlie. 

"What are you doing on the bench?", he asked, sounding pissed. I knew he wasn't mad at me but I still didn't like this side of Charlie very much.

"Oh well, Coach Orion moved me to Varsity."

This made him pause and then shake his head. "Varsity, huh?"

"Yeah. I don't wanna go though. I mean I came here to play hockey with you guys, the Ducks. All the varsity guys seem mean and Adam doesn't even talk to me-"

"Just be grateful Ella." Charlie interrupted me. "You know you're better than the rest of us anyways. You and Banks both do. You're Hawks, remember?"

I opened my mouth and closed it again, unsure of what to say. "Please Charlie don't-"

Coach Orion blew his whistle and Charlie stood up. "I gotta go. See ya around, Varsity." He closed the door of the penalty box behind him and left me stunned.

What was that all about?

_

hello, mini chapter here. also why did i never realize that jesse hall just disappears?? like there's no mention of him being gone he just is. WHEN DID THAT HAPPEN