The Goddess's Twin

[A/N] This isn't going to be continued anytime soon. I just felt like putting it up xD Anyway, like I said, don't expect many updates on this one. I'm only writing it to take a break from my other story occasionally. Right now most of my time is devoted to 'Taboo', and my studies. Also, if you haven't checked out 'Taboo', please do :) Enjoy~

************

Fear. The dark feeling stirred within her, twisting through her veins and spiking them with ice. A pit of swelling feelings writhed inside her, leaving her with a painful grimace etched into her face.

She looked down, her long dark purple hair tickled her skin lightly. She could see the mark, right above her breast, and burnt in dead centre. The blackness of it was chilling, unsettling, and most of all a reminder. She could still remember the day it was branded onto her skin. The explosive pain that felt like her chest was on fire, her heart was being ripped out, and acid was sizzling into her skin. The intensity of the pain was carved into her.

She took in a shaky breath. She had never liked looking at the mark. It reminded her of the cruelty of the world, the suffering it had put her through… She didn’t want to, but she knew she was slowly getting used to it. She used to try to scratch the mark out, trying to tear it from her skin. It had bled, but the symbol remained there, always healing with her torn flesh, like it was forever locked into her DNA. The vicious scars still disfigured her once pale and smooth chest, and she knew they would never fade, but would only serve as another constant reminder.

Now she didn’t even bother. She left it alone, and some days she felt disgusted by the mark. Some days she felt elated. Some days – like today – she felt terrified. Some days she felt nothing.

She turned the tap on and stared at the water gushing from it, filling the clogged basin and soon enough, spilling over the edges. Her fingers reached out to touch the water hesitantly, but she stopped barely an inch away. Her hand shook, and her lip trembled. The water fell to her feet in a small stream. A surge of frightening power coursed through her. She shook more violently and fell to the floor. Instantly, tendrils of water pulled themselves up her body. More water rushed over her as her hands slapped into the water. Soon, she was coated in it, coated in what terrified her the most. Tears pooled in her eyes as her fear shook her to the very core.

It wasn’t a fear of water. She loved water, worshipped it. Yet now, her hatred burned through her, and at the same time a deep passion for it. It was a strange feeling. She wondered blindly in her terror, if it was possible to hate and love something so much you wanted to escape it, but you couldn’t live without it.

A familiar feeling crawled up her. She dreaded it and basked in it at the same time. The electric feeling buzzed in her gut. Adrenaline pumped into her blood. Love or hate, she wasn’t sure which was the one she was feeling at the moment. All she knew was that the power that was filling her was addictive. It was a drug to her.

This was what she feared. Being so addicted to something it felt like she’d drown without it. So addicted to water. So addicted to this inhuman power.

She glanced down, and as usual she gazed at the mark on her chest. A beautiful water droplet, with a picture depicting a graceful and mystical water elf in it. She clenched her fist and gritted her teeth – this was her curse, to be reminded of what she had been forced to sacrifice every time she looked at that mark.

The mark of a water goddess.