Chapter 3: Screw This

Luis had flipped through the pamphlets. He had seen all the pictures, all the explanations. He had agreed with it. And he was thrilled. He’d finally be part of something, be able to change the world for the better.
So the PPP wasn’t as good as Luis thought. Fine. Mx. Jackson could have their perfect group. The Anathema had saved his life. They’d given him a chance to fight against those that hurt him.
And he was angry. He was pissed. But they would pay.
So he made his decision with little effort.

Luis checked his Ewrist, scanning the conversations but ignoring most of them. His mom would’ve buzzed him by now. She had to say something.

Mama: How dare you leave me with this
Mama: How am I going to tell Ala?
Mama: Alizia!
Mama is typing…
Mama: I can’t believe you. Your father would be so disappointed.  
Mama: I can see you’ve read these.
Mama: Answer me.
AS is typing…
AS: What do you need, mom?

He choked on the lump clogging his throat, holding back a sob. “Please… please don’t do this-” he choked out.

Mama: Alizia
AS: You read the note.
Mama: There’s a Seirish conversion center 2 towns away from ours.

His body shook as he tried to swallow back the lump. Heat rushed through his body, choking him. A single tear streamed down his face, and then more- but he blinked them away.

Mama: I can call them
Mama: We need to get you help.
AS: I don’t need help
AS: I’m fine as I am
Mama: Clearly you’re not.
Mama: You know what your father would say about this.

He tensed up to stop the shaking, clenching his jaw to hold back from sobbing further. 

AS is typing...
AS: No, I don’t
AS: Why don’t you tell me?
Mama is typing…
Mama: Don’t bother coming back.
Mama: Not if you’re going to act this way.
AS is typing…
AS: K.
Mama is typing…

He turned his attention back to the pamphlets, letting out a frustrated scream.
Maybe he was hoping for too much.