chapter six

I tried to slip outside, but no luck.

"Davina!" Adam called out, hurried, and did my ears detect a little bit of guilt? I was pretty sure they did.

"Hey," he called again and eagerly waved a hand.

Shelly unwound her tentacles around him, but one of her arms remained on his hip. It was intimate and I knew her smirk wasn't coincidental. They both looked dressed up, but Adam had on a sleek buttoned-down black shirt that looked like it'd been ironed. He always looked nice, but this was a pay grade above that. Shelly wore a leather shirt fastened together by one big pearl button underneath her breasts. It added cleavage. Lots of cleavage. The girl knew how to dress. Even Kates would've been appreciative.

"Hi, Davy." Shelly's ruby red lips formed a perfect, unfriendly, smile.

Adam was blind. He beamed. "So... where are you going this evening?"

"More like morning, Adam." Shelly laughed and patted his arm.

If I were a vamp, my fangs would've already been out.

"Oh yeah. I didn't realize how late it was. We were just... talking. Time must've gotten away from us both." Adam smiled nervously and shuffled on his feet.

He was uncomfortable. Good. He should be.

"Are you just going out?" Shelly asked this time. Her quick eyes skimmed me up and down. I wasn't exactly dressed for a nightclub, but I knew I looked alright. How could a person go wrong with black? And it was tight. Tight always seemed to be good with guys, though that wasn't why I wore it.

"Uh..." I opened my mouth, but closed it. I wasn't sure what to say. I couldn't tell them the truth, but I was a horrible liar.

Shelly's eyes smarted. She asked, quick on the prowl, "Do you have a date?"

"A date?" Adam sounded taken aback, but he tried to hide it.

Oh yeah, bucko. I have a life besides you... wait. Was this what I wanted my future boyfriend to think? I wasn't sure.

"Davina..."

I stiffened at that word and not because it was the name I started to loathe (no one can remember Davy), but because I was hit by the same cold blast as all the other times. It was followed by a host of shivers up and down my spine. Roane was able to make my name sound like a lover's caress and as I turned to look at him, the way he strolled towards us, he looked like the perfect bad boy lover that all the good girls obsessed about. Plus, the whole supernatural predator thing molded to his form perfectly. He dressed like me all in black, but he ventured into leather land. He wore a black tee shirt over a pair of black leather pants. I never noticed how high his cheeks were, the angles seemed sharper and I realized it was because he had nearly shaved all of his hair off. He now sported a clean buzz cut and it made him look even more dangerous. I understood why Emily had a thing for him, but then again all vampires had an unnatural sex appeal.

Judging by Shelly and Adam's reactions, both were aware of it. Adam seemed to stand taller while Shelly's mouth could've dropped to the ground from her drool. Her eyes quickly darted back and forth from Roane to me. "Is this your date?"

I sucked in my breath as I waited for Roane's response, but to my surprise there was none. I twisted back, prepared to see fury or something in those emotionless coal black eyes, but there was no reaction. He watched me steadily. So I gulped again and opened my mouth, but as I met Adam's uncertain eyes I closed it with a snap. I had no idea what to say. If I said it wasn't a date, they might ask where we were headed and then what? I couldn't tell the truth. These two didn't know about that world and I didn't want them to know. Anyone who got involved with that world got hurt.