O N E

(Ignore the text in the gif)                                           

•••
1848

It was a cold night in may. The wind caressing the trees softly without any harm. Small raindrops landing on the already moist soil. There was almost quiet in the forest. Something that the animals in the woods enjoyed. Because that silence could be disturbed any second. And as much as they hated it to be true, the silence was over.

Deep into the woods was a young and wealthy man, running at full speed trying to find a way out of the woods. Gasping, trying to catch his breath. Stumbling and falling over the small branches and the uneven dirt he was running over. To any person that could have witnessed the man running through the woods, would have thought of him to be crazy. Running from nothing. But trust me when I say, there was something to be running from. To be scared of. Even though there was nothing to be seen in the moment. If you weren't scared of whatever creature that was after him, you would be nothing but stupid. Because something that the normal human eye wouldn't have noticed, was a shadow speeding faster than lighting from tree to tree, taunting him. Playing it's own sick game with him. It loved to hear its victims hearts almost burst out of their chests in fear. And the best part was to watch the yellow look on its victims faces and hearing their frightened screams before ending their lives.

The poor victim of the night had no chance, but still he tried to run. It humored the creature, making it laugh knowing that it had won. Like always.
Falling in panic for what seemed like the hundredth time, the creature finally chose that it was enough. It was hungry, and it was tired of the human falling over and over, because for some reason this human just did it unusually more than the others.
The young man knew that it was the end, but he tried to get away anyway by crawling backwards just to be stopped by a tree. Looking up in fear he could see the silhouette of his killer, walking slowly towards him. He tried to scream for help, tried to beg and he tried to throw things on it. But to no avail.

The creature crouched before its next meal, shushing him and drying the tears away from his cheeks. "This will soon be over, don't worry my boy" it whispered while caressing his cheek. The human was still, breathing heavily while starring deeply at the monster with begging eyes.
The last thing he saw was the eyes of his killer before a sharp pain erupted at the side of his neck, his scream reaching miles but not far enough to be heard by anybody. It was to late for him, and only few seconds would go by before he was lifeless. Drained of blood.

•••

A horse carriages with two young males were about an hour away from their destination. The Evans manor. It wasn't because they wanted to come there, more because they had to. Not even a week ago a fire had started at their home, leaving nothing untouched. Leaving scars on the two boys, physically and mentally. Fortunately the boys survived, unfortunately their parents didn't. They had no parents or no home left. They were devastated, one more than the other. When they had been offered to stay at the Evans they gladly accepted yes the moment they had received the question.